• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Acom Amplifiers

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
A friend asked about Acom amplifiers as compared to other amplifier. The only thing I know about Acom is what I've read on forums, and that's been some time ago. So, anyone have any personal experience with them?
At Acom's web site they list three amplifiers, one strictly for 6 meters, so basiclly two amplifiers. Both use the same tube and from what I can tell the only other differences in in how the metering is done, and cosmetic stuff.
My friend is primarily interested in how much 'RF' may be present near an amplifier, he does computer stuff (occupation) and any 'stray' RF would not be exactly the best idea in the world.
Not really interested in the 'good' features/characteristics unless it's really exceptional. More interested in the 'catches', you know?
- 'Doc

A friend asked about Acom amplifiers as compared to other amplifier. The only thing I know about Acom is what I've read on forums, and that's been some time ago. So, anyone have any personal experience with them?
At Acom's web site they list three amplifiers, one strictly for 6 meters, so basiclly two amplifiers. Both use the same tube and from what I can tell the only other differences in in how the metering is done, and cosmetic stuff.
My friend is primarily interested in how much 'RF' may be present near an amplifier, he does computer stuff (occupation) and any 'stray' RF would not be exactly the best idea in the world.
Not really interested in the 'good' features/characteristics unless it's really exceptional. More interested in the 'catches', you know?
- 'Doc

no experience but i found this which i am sure you may have seen to:
Andrews Communications - RF Devices

Most modern production amplifiers worth amateur retail sales are designed with RF tight cabninets.
If the connecting cables are good and the amplifier is not run into excessive SWR so that a lot of common mode RF appears on the outside from the cables, there should be no issues.
As well, the antenna/s should not be practically running over the top of the station location to cause high RF fields.
Bottom line is it's not the amplifier, but how it's used 95% of the time.
Good luck.

V.S. and Ken,
Thanks. I'll forward the web site and see what he thinks. Nice prices, but the shipping would be terrible! :)

Ken,
I think my friend is getting a little ahead of himself really. But, he's looking and thinks the Acom's are nice looking. Just from their advertisements I think I'd try a different brand / model but it's his $$$. I've 'played' with amplifiers for some time, and don't really use the one(s) I have now, just no need. Also have probably made all the mistakes you can with an amplifier (stupid way to learn!) and know what you are saying. He has another limitation, with antennas. His won't be over his shack, but it'll still be closer than is really comfortable with the computer business he does. Oh well, guess we'll both see what happens.
- 'Doc

I have two Acom 1000's . Both are being used with SDR Flex 5000A which require a firewire connected computer to operate. Xcvrs in second floor shacks--no grounds at all between equipment and no way to have an RF ground. Absolutely no Acom generated RFI issues even when running full power of about 1200 watts into resonant antennas (no outboard tuners with possible RF fields) I highly recommend these amps. Incidentally there is a US distributor and shipping is nominal.

Do you use your Flex 5000 on AM with the Acom, if so, what's your thoughts on that? I'm in the market, looking at some refurbed Alpha 89, 99 or the Acom 1000. The new 1500 is a bit more than I want to spend. I was thinking of the Ameritron AL-1200 but I don't see any where that it's listed as all mode, including carrier and modulated carrier, I'll have to call them. Alpha and Acom both are 100% duty full all mode so I'm leaning that direction. Only problem with these amps are the tubes are getting scarce as I believe they both use the same tube, 4CX800A(GU74B) I do like getting 6m in the same amp though with the 1000. I do realize that treated right, these tubes should last as long as I need, so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks in advance

I have two Acom 1000's . Both are being used with SDR Flex 5000A which require a firewire connected computer to operate. Xcvrs in second floor shacks--no grounds at all between equipment and no way to have an RF ground. Absolutely no Acom generated RFI issues even when running full power of about 1200 watts into resonant antennas (no outboard tuners with possible RF fields) I highly recommend these amps. Incidentally there is a US distributor and shipping is nominal.

I had an Acom 1011 and had it to repaired all ready 2 times because of bad TUBES, i got my money back from the reseller, but i wont recommand the 1011 to anyone AT ALL maybe 1010 and 1000 2000 is better build but AGIAN STAY AWAY FROM 1011.

Yes I also have an Acom 1000 and using other electronic equipment within meters of the amp and no interference at full output. Very nice amplifiers, clean output and great filtering.

I run the Acom 1000, and the Acom 2100. I love both amps, and have no complaints.
No stray RF in my Shack. When I bought the 2100 I wanted to sell the 1000, but decided to use it as a backup with a FT991A. Primary station is a FTDX101D, and the Acom 2100
Station.jpg

Reactions: BJ radionut

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?