• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AD203 in a 980ssb ?

Cabover Bob

Nov 17, 2020
Scored a 980ssb today nib for $70. Several videos and a few posts regarding the AD203 amp board installed in one of these, but most are a few years old. Any recent developments or alternate products to consider ?

I also see prices on the AD203 range from $60-$140, what am I missing ?

KL203 with the U980 versus firestarter inside it.

Meaning: make a little amp versatile (available for any radio). In the Pete I carry a dual final AM/SSB + U-980 + KL203. Use the 203 with either. The backup amp is turning up the power on the dual final radio.m

My U980 doesn’t run hot. My U885 does. It’s not a happy radio when that happens. In the truck overhead console in summer temps are always hot.

For
lack of versatility (multi-radio use) and potential heat-related poor running, the cigarette-pack sized KL203 velcroed to the top of the U980 is a better choice, IMO, than an internal board.

You smoke it, just get another.

KL203 with the U980 versus firestarter inside it.

Meaning: make a little amp versatile (available for any radio). In the Pete I carry a dual final AM/SSB + U-980 + KL203. Use the 203 with either. The backup amp is turning up the power on the dual final radio.m

My U980 doesn’t run hot. My U885 does. It’s not a happy radio when that happens. In the truck overhead console in summer temps are always hot.

For
lack of versatility (multi-radio use) and potential heat-related poor running, the cigarette-pack sized KL203 velcroed to the top of the U980 is a better choice, IMO, than an internal board.

You smoke it, just get another.

I was already pretty sure that I wasn't going to do it, just wondered if there had been any revelations or alternatives since the last discussion a few years ago.

Reactions: Slowmover
I agree external is always the way to go. I don’t see stinger boards coming back in a big way. The RFX seemed like a better idea since they were mounted externally, but I think going forward people either will buy a amp or a more powerful radio rather than go through the trouble of trying to add a board.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.