• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

added firebird f500 to the shack

sweet..i got keep the 12ga pump beside mine as well.filled with slugs.
they said my mic sounded real good except when i turned the adjustment up..when i had it all the way ccw they said it was best..when turned up they said it had a sqeal?
looking at the wiring diagram it looks wired wrong to me,so will let the cb shop check it tomorrow..
nice lookin 2000gtl;) lots of cb,ers on ch28 today from out west..couldnt get back to them tho.

cb shop said my mic was wired for a cobra lol..and one wire was wrong..weird how i was still talking a lil bit with good reports lol..

new question; i was trying things out after messing with the midland base radio last night and i noticed while on ssb the amp chattered when keyed,,
easy fix,i didnt have it o ssb..

then noticed when keyed up on ssb the deadkey didnt hold still,it kida wiggled back and forth a 1/4 inch..i read something about this but cant find it now..
any ideas?
on ssb the radio dk is around 8 watts and swings to 12. with amp on ssb swings to just over 200watts .is that too much and maybe causing the wiggle on the meter?

The D201 /201A was designed to use a non-amplified mic. The proper mic for the Tram is a D-104 on a G stand (un-amplified).

They will work with a T-UG stand (amplified) but you will need to keep the gain down to near zero.

For maximum SSB enjoyment consider a 10-DA head on the G stand.

The D201 /201A was designed to use a non-amplified mic. The proper mic for the Tram is a D-104 on a G stand (un-amplified).

They will work with a T-UG stand (amplified) but you will need to keep the gain down to near zero.

For maximum SSB enjoyment consider a 10-DA head on the G stand.
I agree the old Tram's have plenty of audio, you don't need to want to use an amplified mic on it.

Tram, CPI, Stoner, Browning and a very small handful of others where built to a much higher standard then 99% of the rest of the CB's out there. You have a ham radio in a CB box there. Treat it well!

If the mic gain is set too high you might be getting ambient room and amp fan noise thus showing a deadkey other than zero on SSB. In a conversation I had with a ham,he said it was better not to have a fan on the tubes in order for them to maintain a certain operating temperature. Don't those tubes have heaters in them? Maybe a switch activated fan might be in order.

P.S. I'm new at the tube amp thing.

Turn down the gain on the mic to zero, slowly turn it up 1/8 of a turn at a time till you register audio on the radio. With an amped d-104 you need to run the gain on the mic very low as D-104's pick up everything around you.

Reactions: 1 person
One other note using that amp on SSB...One problem I ran into using my Kicker 500 with my Cobra 2000 gtl, was my radio was swinging to 20w's on SSB...This didn't agree well with the Amp turned on, everyone was saying I sounded over modulated and crackling on SSB with the Amp turned on.

These Amps were made to have little drive, so I had to turn down the SSB ALC pod so on SSB so I only swinging to around 6 or 8w's. This cleaned up my audio, it did drop my output from 750 to 800w's down to about 400-450w's but the signal was much cleaner and no crackling sound.

Backing off the ALC for SSB had no effect on AM, but on AM I sounded fine anyway and still swinging around the 400w mark.

i guess all my diff threads and questions have thrown everyone off lol..im using a midland 13-898b for past few weeks..the mic i had re wired is a d104 t-ug8 stand,and ampilfied for the first time in 40 yrs lol.
it looks and works like new said the cb shop and sounded great to me also when there...
the midland radio i hate.."cause i miss the tram" talked today a lot and everyone can hear me and understand me but we have all decided its the 898b midland giving me problems and not the mic..
the midland has no such thing as swing on am..on ssb it dk 8 and swings so i agree with i need to turn the alc"or whatever its called"down to a lower watt is prob what made the amp chatter on ssb.
the folks i talk to a few live close and hang out on 37lsb..for me to do that on the 23 ch radio"midland" im using the siltronix vfo,and on ch 19 is ch 37lsb lol..def needs adjusted but ive got all the channels converted on paper for now..

on a side note i went back to the tram d201 23 ch radio today for a while."with a non amplified d104 mic thats been with it for 40 yrs".its def the caddilac as it sounds so good hearing others talk,and people say it sounds as good or better than anything they have heard in a while when talking.like the song"just a swingin" haha,and lots of it in the tram.
im gonna get a couple new caps and solder them on myself since cant afford to send it to allen:sad:
problem today is..the tram has a crystal and manual tune..when on manual i can get over 40 ch tuned in perfectly,BUT,when above ch 23 i can only recieve and not transmit.dad swears it does but he is crazy and thinking of the d201a i have..the d201 manual says it dont transmit while on manual tune when over channel 23..so as of now im fixing to look for the mod to make it talk in manual tune mode as i read it somewhere..sorry so long.
i will find my old thread or start a new one since im kinda running 3 diff radios at the same time,,back and forth,back and forth.its getting old too:whistle:

One other note using that amp on SSB...One problem I ran into using my Kicker 500 with my Cobra 2000 gtl, was my radio was swinging to 20w's on SSB...This didn't agree well with the Amp turned on, everyone was saying I sounded over modulated and crackling on SSB with the Amp turned on.

These Amps were made to have little drive, so I had to turn down the SSB ALC pod so on SSB so I only swinging to around 6 or 8w's. This cleaned up my audio, it did drop my output from 750 to 800w's down to about 400-450w's but the signal was much cleaner and no crackling sound.

Backing off the ALC for SSB had no effect on AM, but on AM I sounded fine anyway and still swinging around the 400w mark.

everything you said there is very true(y).i got a new diawa cn-801 2k watt meter with avg and pep readings today..the amp amazed me compared to my 30-40 yr old meters..
i have my ole pres grant as maxed as "i can get it" and only doing 8 watts pep on ssb..thats showing 250 watt average on ch 40 and swinging 500 plus..
i still dont understand how 4 6lq6 tubes rated for 60-70 watts each can accomplish this but i will take it lol..all testing i did was with 2 diawa meters that read the same so im sure mine is right.
on ch 20 am im dk 2-3 watts is all i have and it still swings 450 watts pep.
still dont make sense to me but the cbtricks manual says with 15-18 watt swing on ssb the amp will do 800-850 watts"wtf that dont make sense" but i guess there much closer than people think since im swinging over 500 with a average of 8 watts on ssb.
for 75 bucks this is the best cash i ever spent..the diawa meter is sweet too and the best meter i will prob ever afford..and my power supply for the radio is only a 4 amp ps-4 audiovox from way way back..

the drive tube and the last tube in line glow blue good when on ssb.
online says they supposed to glow blue,then others say there gassed and need replaced when glowing blue..
then i read some are supposed to glow blue and some tubes are not..well i wish someone would help me get to the bottom of if there supposed to be blue or not when transmitting ??..
i have a new tube coming fri and guess i will try the new one in place of a tube thats not glowing blue when talking and see it the new one glows..if it does then i will assume there supposed to as the tube tested at 105 percent and very good..
talking to italy daily does feel good for a mobile 35 yr old radio and amp in the house with antenna not even high enough, and i have talked a lot to canada from fl on 8 watts pep so for a first timer i cant complain..filling the log book fast and getting to where i dont even keep track of them all anymore..well its fun, and i just took my practice ham test today..
only got 15 right but didnt really no much of any of it but will keep trying till i learn it all..then get a ticket, before i get a real ticket(y) j9

old machine guns are legal but a tiny cb amp is not..thats should speak for its self..cruel world.<can not stand it>they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
next kids will be taking old cb amps into schools and killing people with rf waves.
but they will get away with it.
and the fcc will carry guns for the superbowl guys on ch 6 and never get a thing done:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.