• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Adding a Freq. counter to a 148

A little while ago I had my tech friend do me a favor and add some Extra Channels(frequencies) to my Cobra 148 GTL. He gave me a list of the channels but no clear indication of what frequency I'm actually tuned to. So I was considering adding a Frequency counter to my 148. These are the candidates I'm considering:

A FC30BT Blue Counter

f0fb_1_FC30BL.jpg

Or A FC390-BL Blue counter

FC390green.jpg

FC390.jpg

The first one FC30BT is in Blue And the second choice picture is in green; When in reality I'm looking to get the Blue version of it. I'm all about the BLUE theme
:D As you can see :

Pic18.jpg

Now my question is Which of these two is the better choice?

The other question I have is; In this picture they show that the connection is made via a six pin connection.

FC30BT.jpg

Is there a way to Add the male connection to the back of my radio which connects to the inside; so as to keep the quick disconnect capability?

Please be aware that I'm a novice at this and would welcome any and all Advise on how to install 'em.
:?:

i took a 347 frequency counter out of a grant....i took some pictures of the board for future reference...i don't see why you couldn't add the plug to the back

I have a 148 that has a galaxy 6 digit freq counter that looks exactly like the texas star you posted. I have the female plug mounted on the back of the radio and the counter is velcroed to the case for easy removal if needed. seems to be a good (y)setup

you could also do a inline dosy . http://www.dosy.com/products/fc50.php . then you could easily use it on different radios . its a blue display also . handles 500 watts . if you got an amp that does more than a few hundred watts id put it in front of the amp . id probaly put it in front of my lil 2 pill just to make its life easier and longer .

Working on TX or RCV just depends on how the thing it set up, sort of. If it's a sort of typical freq.counter that samples RF, then no it won't (no RF to sample in RCV). If it's one that taps a circuit stage in the radio, then yes it will work in both TX/RCV.
The RF sampling type frequency counter is most common. They will only work accurately when sampling a constant frequency signal such as AM or CW. For SSB they jump around like a 'fanatic' cuz the signal is constantly changing frequency (following the audio frequencies).
Mounting a socket on the radio just depends on how much room there is inside the radio's back panel. Not enough room means changing to a smaller connector, maybe. And the whole thing just depends on how much you are capable of doing, or how much you're willing to throw at it ($$$).
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Any of your choices are probably about as accurate as any other.

This is one old thread. If there was one good thing you can possibley do for a older Grant or 148GTL with extra channels is a add a Ranger FC-390 to it (y) very good 6 digit meters as well as having very good looks. Yes they work on both RX and TX ! These babies can be zeroed in very nicely. Easy install , they come with the female harness that gets wired to the board and then hangs out the back of the radios very nicely. For under 100 bucks for counter and install , these are truly a fabulous addition to these types of radios. Money well spent. (y) And I think one would be even more proud to look at there radios there after. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.