• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

additional ground radials to a base antenna ???

Booty, I am currently experimenting with basicly the same idea as you.

I insulated my antenna from it's mast by using a shovel handle made of wood shoved into the top of the mast. I then attached the antenna to the handle.

I have taken 4 pieces of 10 gauge wire 9' long and attached them to the base of my Imax. I then tied fishing line to the end of the wire and pulled them out as far as I could and tied them off. I used bricks to do so.

On my feed line I made a choke by taking a 6 1/2' piece of RG213 coax and winding it 8 times around a 4" piece of PVC.

I have two stations in my area that I can rely on for accurate reports. One is 17 miles to the North and the other is 5 miles to the South East. Over 3 days they are going to report my signal strength back to me and I will take note of theirs and log. Also I will be asking 2 neighbors, both relatives to check for interference in their homes. This will be done this weekend. I then will remove the wire and choke and retest the following weekend and compare the information.

After I do my experiment then I can judge for myself whether it works for me or not.

I'm starting to like this hobby more and more now that I am learning some of the theory behind it.

I'll post my results when I have concluded the testing.

Thanks to all who have helped me with this. Especialy the guy across the pond.

Hey Cajun Invader, just checking in to see if you have made any progress on your testing the mods to your Imax?

Hey Cajun Invader, just checking in to see if you have made any progress on your testing the mods to your Imax?

I have been meaning to post an update.

I did my first testing without the ground radials since the antenna was already set up that way. I have several stations with their reports and I also went in my mobile to 4 different locations 15 miles away and recording the data myself.

Along with the data I also have recordings that I will be able to compare the audio with.

Here is what is slowing me down. I noticed the receive on my President Zachary T is not up to par. More than likely it needs to be aligned. I don't want to test results to be compromised so I am going to do them again as soon as I get the recieve situation fixed.

makes sense that you would want to have properly working equipment . seen a guy on another forum claim the ARRL book is best used as toilet paper because it didnt jive with what he saw on his antenna anaylizer . not that youre wanting to rewite books . he just cant comprehend the variables and thinks a %3 difference proves the ARRL has no idea what happens in the real world . but , he is entertaining ;) .

makes sense that you would want to have properly working equipment . seen a guy on another forum claim the ARRL book is best used as toilet paper because it didnt jive with what he saw on his antenna anaylizer . not that youre wanting to rewite books . he just cant comprehend the variables and thinks a %3 difference proves the ARRL has no idea what happens in the real world . but , he is entertaining ;) .
Does he realize which state his mfj is counstructed,lol and if he does then you have your answer to his mental state.

Does he realize which state his mfj is counstructed,lol and if he does then you have your answer to his mental state.

Now don't you go picken on your home state.

Damn, Ameritron is from the same state. Hmmmm Does that mean that the Magnolia State has more intelligent people or does that mean that it's full of cheap labor.:love:

... seen a guy on another forum claim the ARRL book is best used as toilet paper because it didnt jive with what he saw on his antenna anaylizer .... ;) .

perhaps thats because he has no idea of how his ANALizer is really supposed to be used :w00t:

BTW, ameritron is now owned by mfj

Are you putting this antenna on the ground? WHy not put it in the air, where it belongs, and not mess with the radials? You don't have the ground loss, when you put the antenna above the ground.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.