• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Adjustable mic boom with shock thingy

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Buddy traded me a adjustable boom for a rotor plate. I've never had one before. The shock mic thing has two wire tabs that spreads the collar open. I suppose, it holds the mic snug.

I have a Heil boom/hand mic, but it's much smaller in diameter and just lays in there, but slops around. I guess it's made for bigger diameter mics. I have a mic holder that came with my Heil. It has threaded end that fits on the boom after removing the shock mount.

IMG_20200402_223317295.jpg

Exactly how important is the shock mount? The little holder I got works fine at holding the mic. I guess I could wrap my mic in foam or something so it fits snug.

I think I'm going to like this boom jobber. I'm interested in having a mic that works great with VOX. I don't want a mic that I have to have my mouth close enough to eat. Is there a recommended mic that fits this requirement? Like one that picks up my voice as I reach and move around in different directions from the mic.

There are way to many options out there. My main radio that I'll be using is my IC-7610 and ELAD. The ELAD

Because condenser mics are so sensitive, an isolation suspension decouples the mic stand vibration from the mic. They serve to remove harmonic freq's that can throw the condenser specs off and colorize an otherwise flat freq response. If the resonant freq levels become too great, it can also make the mic feed back.

Reactions: Slowmover
Well considering that the tx freq response is limited in any radio, keeping the freq resonse flat and dynamic makes phone mode more intelligible. Is it important or make a big difference? That is up to you - your choice. But since the tools are available, it is just a question if you want to bother with it at all or employ the technology at hand.

Sure one may argue if SDR radios are unnecessary too, so you might as well throw it away and just use an old boat anchor.

What about electrec mics. Do they need the the shock mount? I'll mostly be using (and looking to buy) electrec mics to use with my new boom.

Another aspect that didn't get mentioned is;

Some Mic's, need MASS; in order to have inertia (for any sort of Frequency Response) else they tend to become resonators - as in a moving membrane, they need something to hold them in place which is nice, and convenient. But the membrane used in the Element being so light will soon resonate at the main predominate tone of the voice or sound it picks up - generating that color.

So they use the "dampers", those holders, to fool the mic element into thinking it's has mass and so therefore vibrates but it will never fully reach fundamental tone because of the inertia the mount exerts on the element prevents it from resonating at any given frequency - at least not without a fight.

It is why some Noise Canceling as well as Stock mikes have that weight -to help the element "work" against the natural tonal chamber effect (Hollow sounds) - the housing will tend to vibrate at a specific fundamental - overpowering your voice into a muddy tone making it sound hollow.

Because condenser mics are so sensitive, an isolation suspension decouples the mic stand vibration from the mic. They serve to remove harmonic freq's that can throw the condenser specs off and colorize an otherwise flat freq response. If the resonant freq levels become too great, it can also make the mic feed back.
Exactly! Condenser mics, ribbon mics etc are so sensitive, you need a shock mount. There are many great sounding dynamics out there, a little eq and compression, bam. Great audio

I now know why I usually settle with stock hand mics and radio specific desk mics. Way to complicated for me. I'm to old and impatient to learn. I don't mind experimenting with these cheaper mics, though. My 7610 is supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll try out this BM800 soon. I like this mic boom. I can see lazy laid back gab sessions.

A sound engineer, I do not want to be.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio