• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Advice: Galaxy DX line for AM/SSB

Steer clear of the 959 and 949 in my opinion, out of the box the 979's have tended to be more stable on SSB.

If you are avoiding the export radios the 979 is probably the best choice of the current bunch. A used Uniden Grant XL or LT would be the best of the older models.

Out of the Galaxy SSB exports I'd avoid all except the 95T. If you start looking at the exports maybe consider the 2950DX.

Steer clear of the 959 and 949 in my opinion, out of the box the 979's have tended to be more stable on SSB.

If you are avoiding the export radios the 979 is probably the best choice of the current bunch. A used Uniden Grant XL or LT would be the best of the older models.

Out of the Galaxy SSB exports I'd avoid all except the 95T. If you start looking at the exports maybe consider the 2950DX.

But I thought you gave the 959 / 949 decent reviews on your web site. :)
I did consider the 979 when I was looking for a CB. But what sold me on the 949 was the larger fuller size, the side mounted microphone connection and the controls on it. It is the first SSB CB I've ever owned. I all ready knew about the drift (thanks to your web site) but wasn't sure if I would ever use it anyways.

I was wanting a General Lee at the time but the two places, selling them, around my area wanted OVER $300 for it.

The 979 has got some decent reviews. I can't say what needs done with it. They really are good to work on, and don't need butchered to sound great, especially on AM, where they scream.

I have a 949, which I love. I just had to turn the modulation up some and the SSB ALC. SSB indicates NO drift at all! Mine is a May 2011 Manufacture date, so perhaps the bugs are worked out of it. The SWR warning issue is not there on mine either.

Thanks to all for the input, especially to all the Senior Members for taking the time.

I would love to go with an export but to be honest if I did, with my luck, the FCC would start it's door to door campaign to stop exports at my front door. (You think I jest)

So, it looks like the DX-979 is not a bad choice. Since I have the room I think I'll pick up the counter as well.

Binrat, if you get a chance I would love to know what the wife had done and the cost.

Also, I'm sure my coax is the best that Walmart had to offer, what should I be running?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.