• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Advice: Galaxy DX line for AM/SSB

Mike337

Jan 8, 2012
Sterling, VA
I bought an old Ramcharger two years ago that had an old out of the box Cobra DX-19 III in it; I added a 102” SS whip. With that set up, in the DC metro area, I am getting out about 12 miles. I enjoy having a CB in the truck but would like a little bit more to play with.

I am looking at the Galaxy DX line for an AM/SSB radio to use with the 102” whip. With limited knowledge, I have been reading all I can find and have a few questions.

I am partial to the blue face on the DX-979 but understand that a 6-digit counter is nice for SSB and I know you don't buy a radio by its color. Space is not an issue for mounting, nor would it kill me if I had to buy the counter and add it to the radio.

I also know that a “Peak and Tune” will be needed at a minimum. With that said, and my thanks in advance…

Questions:

1. If you had the choice from this line which of the DX Series would you choose over the others and why?
2. What kind of distances are you getting with a DX radio?
3. What other modifications, if any, are needed?
4. Is there a shop, (Bell’s, Sparkys etc.) that had a reputation for good prices and quality work?
5. How does this radio work with an external speaker?

Well, the XYL has a dx979 in her truck with a 5' wilson silver load. From Sparky's right after they came out, its got a TG compressor in it. Longest ground wave she did was 85 miles mobile to mobile, no skip. I've also had a few 949's and a 959. I personally like the 979 the best. As for freq counter, as long as you don't go into th extra freqs, I think they are not really needed, but nice to have. If you are considering the Top Guns mods, then I would say Bob's CB.

Reactions: jwilkers
If you are going to spend all of that and you must have a Galaxy; then I would just get a DX-88 or 99 and be done with it.
At least it will take up less space that way.

Forget the 'peak and tune' and get a full alignment instead.
You would be much better off.

Adding a TG compressor is a fine choice - IMO . . .

A Galaxy 98 VHP is the last radio this guy needs. The guy is looking at Chevy Malibu of radio's and you want him to consider a Cadillac ........that drifts like a sailboat on SSB to boot.

Nothing wrong with a 979. Combine that with a nice KL-300 or Texas Star 250 and he will be talking for sure. It's probably too soon to even add an amp to the mix though.

Mike337, you might also consider a clean used Magnum S9. Excellent all around radio with good power and features.

Reactions: 1 person
if you don't mind a used radio a i think the Galaxy 95t is the best galaxy mobile made. it does have the 6 digit freq counter which is very helpfull on SSB. i talk SSB 99% of the time and this radio gets great reports even when i use it on 10 meters talking with the hamster audiophiles go there wrong you will hear about it. i also use the RCI 2950Dx radios but get better audio reports with the Galaxy 95t in fact i think it has better RX also then the RCI only draw back to the bGalaxy vs the RCI 2950dx radio is the fact with the RCI 2950 & 2970 series radios you have the ability to use the channel selector as a continuos tuning VFO which is great when freebanding DX or on 10 meters you can run the freqs like 27.5700 or like 28.4200 thru direct tune instead of screwing with the coarse clarifier on the Galaxy radio. but if you want to but a new radio check out the Magnum s9 6 digit counter rock solid stable on SSB. and Bells cb in florida or DTB in carlise pa would be excellent places to get the radio soundin 10-8 & str-8 either way you go.

I need more information. Do you mainly talk AM or SSB. If AM only I would look to sparkys for a Cobra 29ltd and have them do the work to it. AM with a little bit of SSB then a Galaxy DX979 also from Sparkys with their work. Dedicated SSB use Ranger RCI 2950dx. Whatever you do don't buy a refurb. it will cost you more in the end. Also a freq counter is not really needed unless your adding extra channels. just my opinions. good luck.

Galaxy's like to drift... my DX 77HML does not drift too much once it warms up...

but my DX 959 drifts pretty bad...

export are really the way to go for the money they can not be beat

So the DX 979 doesn't drift on SSB?

I have a DX 959, newer model with the mosfet outputs, and drifts like a sailboat on SSB, useless piece of crap.

The 979 would be a great choice, while not the king of the hill it is a great and very capable radio with many features the big radios have but in a smaller package and a smaller price. Be sure to buy new as the newer 979's already have mosfet Finals and seem to offer better performance than the earlier models.

Here is good review if you have not already seen it, Galaxy DX 979 AM SSB CB Radio Review

Another good option of where to buy. Site Disclaimer - Custom CB radios

I have a Galaxy DX959.

FWW I've only tried SSB once to try it out with my base station radio. The Galaxy sounded like Donald Duck on the base but was intelligible. The base station sounded nice and clear on the Galaxy.
The internal speaker on my Galaxy sounded horrible in my opinion and purchased an external speaker for it. With the external speaker it sounds MUCH better to me. I bought mine at a truck stop even though I've seen them for less on the internet. However there is just some stuff I like to buy locally. I would have liked to have the freq display but the price (truck stop) was a factor for me.

IMO the 102" whip is the best all around. The other antennas I've tried had done well but had to tuned and didn't perform quit as well as the 102" IMO. Just don't use a Wilson Gum Drop Stud with it. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.