• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Airport safty rules

jayhalase

Dec 6, 2009
Does anyone know if you can still carry a HT on an airliner with all the new rules.
I'd hate to have them confiscate it. I like to make new contacts when I don't have a direct flight and have to switch planes usually with an hour or two layover. I just heard something on the news that one airport wouldn't let people on the plane with carry on luggage that had wheels on it yesterday. They didn't tell them till they were at the gate so they had to leave their luggage behind and stuff everything into bags. They said there were a lot of po'd people. I think everything has wheels on it now even duffel bags.

I guess I would consider myself a resident expert in all things "airline operation", including TSA checkpoints. As far as I know (and understanding that the TSA is about as reactionary a government agency as there ever was and will change procedures at the drop of a shoe bomb)you can still take it onboard, but it may not be a good idea to try to operate it during the flight. The TSA will definatly run it throught the CTX and possibly test it for trace explosives (trace detector) and probably have you turn it on and show them it functions. They want to know it's not a case full of wires and a battery that can be used for other things.

Honestly, if your concerned as I would be taking my HT on a flight right now...either put it in checked luggage or contact the TSA at the airport you are flying out of and ask.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I've flown quite a lot for work since 9/11. I often have my HT in my computer bag or camera bag and have never had the TSA even blink at it. It just goes through the XRay and then it goes with my on the plane.

i believe you can even use it onboard WITH THE CREW'S PERMISSION AND AS LONG AS IT'S NOT THE AIRLINE RADIO.

Ummmmmmmm..............NO! It has been a while since I have flown and I don't think things are any less strict now but AFAIK you may NOT operate any type of transmitter while in the passenger cabin on board a commercial airliner. At one time you were not even allowed to operate a regular AM/FM radio. It has to do with RF leakage from the radio's internal oscillators interfering with freqs used for navigation and guidance. If I'm wrong then I will stand corrected. I'll even sit corrected as well.

FCC Regs are that you can operate a ham radio on an airplane or ship with the permission of the captain with some restrictions. Good luck getting permission, but it happens every once in a while.

§97.11 Stations aboard ships or aircraft.

(a) The installation and operation of an amateur station on a ship or aircraft must be approved by the master of the ship or pilot in command of the aircraft.

(b) The station must be separate from and independent of all other radio apparatus installed on the ship or aircraft, except a common antenna may be shared with a voluntary ship radio installation. The station's transmissions must not cause interference to any other apparatus installed on the ship or aircraft. (c) The station must not constitute a hazard to the safety of life or property. For a station aboard an aircraft, the apparatus shall not be operated while the aircraft is operating under Instrument Flight Rules, as defined by the FAA, unless the station has been found to comply with all applicable FAA Rules.

BTW - how can a HT work on an aircraft while inside of a metal cylinder?!?
Seems that any RF would be trapped!
I can see a metal framed craft to be able to support TXing (like a small Beechcraft) - but isn't it extremely compromised by the sealed hull of commercial aircraft?

FCC Regs are that you can operate a ham radio on an airplane or ship with the permission of the captain with some restrictions. Good luck getting permission, but it happens every once in a while.

(a) The installation and operation of an amateur station on a ship or aircraft must be approved by the master of the ship or pilot in command of the aircraft.

(b) The station must be separate from and independent of all other radio apparatus installed on the ship or aircraft, except a common antenna may be shared with a voluntary ship radio installation. The station's transmissions must not cause interference to any other apparatus installed on the ship or aircraft. (c) The station must not constitute a hazard to the safety of life or property. For a station aboard an aircraft, the apparatus shall not be operated while the aircraft is operating under Instrument Flight Rules, as defined by the FAA, unless the station has been found to comply with all applicable FAA Rules.

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue: <---------------me at capt. kilowatt. did you think i was talking out my ass? wow.

BTW - how can a HT work on an aircraft while inside of a metal cylinder?!?
Seems that any RF would be trapped!
I can see a metal framed craft to be able to support TXing (like a small Beechcraft) - but isn't it extremely compromised by the sealed hull of commercial aircraft?
i can hit the 70cm repeater from inside my trailer with my HT, with the rubber duck. i'd say the repeater is about 6 miles away.

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue: <---------------me at capt. kilowatt. did you think i was talking out my ass? wow.

Did you think I was talking out my ass when I said that at one time you could not and AFAIK it has has not changed. :whistle: To quote you " WOW! " I am a lot older than you and trust me, there was a time when what I said was true. Apparently things have changed probably due to changes in navigation systems that no longer rely on medium wave NDB's and LORAN or OMEGA systems. Trust me, I do know what I am/was talking about.

After reading this again I still believe I was correct. The question that needs to be answered however is when is a commercial airliner NOT operating under IFR? Certainly not while in flight and I can guarantee that a ham band HT in the passenger cabin of a 767 does not comply with FAA rules.

the HT can be carried on the plane. I do it every day. AND can be used until the door of the aircraft is closed. The HT falls into the same catagory as your cell phone does as far as the aircrew is concerned.

The only time I have had an issue with TSA going thru the xray machine was when the antenna was disconnected from the HT. they wanted to know what the thing with the coil was. I screwed it onto the radio and sent it back thru they were happy...

the HT can be carried on the plane. I do it every day. AND can be used until the door of the aircraft is closed. The HT falls into the same catagory as your cell phone does as far as the aircrew is concerned.

The only time I have had an issue with TSA going thru the xray machine was when the antenna was disconnected from the HT. they wanted to know what the thing with the coil was. I screwed it onto the radio and sent it back thru they were happy...

BINGO! That was what I failed to mention,the part about it being OK until the plane's door was closed. I believe everyone here (including myself) was thinking about while the plane was actually in-flight. TNX for the reminder.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.