• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alignment results in quieter receive and softer tone? Wait, A working Delta tune?!

Cruiseomatic

Dark side of the Sun.
Dec 28, 2011
Had two factory fresh PC 78LTW radios sent off for a full alignment and open for max performance.
Before, typical hash and trash, all that good stuff. Couldn't make contact with no one. Modulation on internal meter was "eh" at best.

Tonight I put one in the truck for the drive into work. Receive is MUCH quieter, softer tone, NB/ANL kills almost all the noise, Way less noise floor level on S-Meter, most of the trashy trucker radios are at noise floor level and the good sounding ones come in, Had one almost took my speaker out he was being pulled in so hard but was a decent distance away, The tone is "softer", And all RX audio on AM and WX, is quieter where I need to turn the volume up to half way to hear with speaker facing down. Might just be my biological ears though or turck noise. Gotta love Diesels. I have never heard a radio sound like this one does on RX right now. But then again, Never had one actually truely aligned by a true tech before. AMC is still engaged. Don't have modulation meter to test with and haven't put them on an external yet. Thats today. And now I'm making contacts with it. But, I can tell the modulation is not near what my 68 is that everyone raves how loud and clean it is. Couple said the 68 was "punchy". Hell, Even the Delta tune changes RX frequency! If its at center and I turn it, A station will either get stronger or fade out! Never had that before!

What is everyone thoughts on this? Hooking them up to externals meters today and get an idea what is where for the most aprt.

Last edited:

Ive had some uniden and cobra radios that came out if the box with terrible receive. A receiver alignment can make an amazing difference.

It's hard to say why the 68 has more punch. It's probably due to how it was tuned. The external meters should give you a clue there.

My 68 has terrible RX like most of my radios normally do. High noise floor, not the greatest adjacent reject, etc... Great TX though. I wouldn't call what it got a "tune". Limiter got cut, couple VRs turned, and bam. Typical truck stop crap. This was way before I knew about internet shops and how there are real techs out there for these still.
Kinda thinking though, Maybe a touch over 100% modulation isn't a bad thing? That might be the extra punch the 68 has? If the limiter is cut, Does it take out the entire AMC circuit or just cut power to the transistor that slam excess voltage to ground while leaving the VR active?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.