• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alinco DR-635T In Home Use

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
Hey all,

I'm highly considering this Alinco DR-635T mobile rig as my next upgrade step in HAM. I exclusively want to use this at my base station, in my house, hooked up to power from my house. Obviously this radio is not designed to do this, so wondering what I need to do short of buying a $200 power supply. I've looked up the V W A draw for this radio, and don't see why I can't just go down to Radio Shack and buy something that would convert 110V AC into the necessary DC voltage. I know that the radio should not be plugged into a cig lighter in a car, but do not understand why not?

Please point out flaws and shoot holes in my plan

Thanks

ALINCO

DO NOT buy from RATSHACK..go to R AND L ELECTRONICS on the net, buy a 25 amp power supply believe they are $84.95 dollars..jet stream...I have a 25 amp and a 45 amp satisfied with both...

You will need an antenna also...just get a dual bander from them..I have one works good about a flat swr and with 50 watts have talked to Tenn in the mornings when band is up on simplex...

DOCTOR/795

DO NOT buy from RATSHACK..go to R AND L ELECTRONICS on the net, buy a 25 amp power supply believe they are $84.95 dollars..jet stream...I have a 25 amp and a 45 amp satisfied with both...

You will need an antenna also...just get a dual bander from them..I have one works good about a flat swr and with 50 watts have talked to Tenn in the mornings when band is up on simplex...

DOCTOR/795

R and L huh? I will have to look them up. How long have you had your power supply?

Forgot to mention I already have a dual band 2M/440 base station antenna, all I might need is a BNC connector to whatever the Alinco has.

I've read reviews on the Alinco..I'll be coming from a Wouxun hand held..any advice good or bad about the Alinco brand?

power supply

Try this
http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/..when you get to the page, on the left side <search> put in Jetstream...

I have had my power supplies maybe 7or 8 years.....

Alinco..easy to program, well built....I have 2 ..mk2 models, work great 1 in the shack and 1 in the vehicle, works great, even have packet board in one of them.

I also have as a 2nd radio ALINCO DX70T..works great since the day I bought it..all modes..

DOCTOR/795

R&L Electronics

Oh, almost forgot. If your trying to keep your costs down, try one of the Megawatt power supplies. Around $55-65 shipped to your door. I have no personal experience with them, but several on this board seem to like them.

http://www.12voltpowersupplies.us/

Sent from my Verizon phone using Tapatalk

Can anyone who has the radio tell me if it is possible to crossband multiple frequencies? Basically I want to listen to the WIN system, and two other local repeaters, not all the time but switch through them. Can I use Simplex Freq 1 to listen to Repeater A, SF2 for Repeater B, SF3 to listen to the WIN system, etc? Or is crossbanding only capable of listening to one freq without being at the station and changing the settings manually?

Also, another question

I see on radios like my Wouxun that there is a V and a U with frequencies...what does that mean?

The Alinco can apparently do V/V, V/U, U/V, U/U ..whatever that means...

Help and an explanation is appreciated...

Also, another question

I see on radios like my Wouxun that there is a V and a U with frequencies...what does that mean?

The Alinco can apparently do V/V, V/U, U/V, U/U ..whatever that means...

Help and an explanation is appreciated...

Ummmmm......do you have a license? Don't take this the wrong way but any licensed operator should certainly know what the V and U mean on a dual band radio. The "V" is for "VHF" aka 2m (144-148 MHz) and the "U" is for "UHF" aka 70cm band (430-450 MHz).

The V/V means it will receive on two VHF freqs at the same time. V/U means it will receive one VHF and one UHF freq at the same time and U?U means it will receive two UHF freqs at the same time. IOW it can be set up to use either one band or the other or both at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Ya, I do, I had just never seen that designation before, when I got my Wouxun I got it two days after my liscense, was still confused by all the terms.

I got it figured out about 0130 this morning...but thanks for clarifying that for me :)

I have owned the 635 for almost one year. It is my first transceiver. It has performed VERY well. When I am using it as a base set up I use a 12 V battery backup for my automobile which powers it nicely for the 11 amps during transmission only, and then I use a trickle charger to charge the battery. I am using a j-pole antenna from Ed Fong. Dual meter it works very nicely and is cheap. The crossband function allows you to Receive on one of the two bands (2meter, 70cm)and then retransmits (repeats) on the other band. You select which band you want to receive/transmit, and what frequency you want for each band. You cannot receive and transmit on the same band in this mode. Regular radio usage is unavailable when in this mode. I believe the manual online explains the crossband repeater operation.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.