• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

all mode + wx channel radios?

May not be exactly what you're looking for but the Midland 79-290 had weather and could be expanded for extra frequencies. No FM though.

Ok so the weather KINDA worked in Phoenix but to me thats useless. The Cobra handheld FRS radio I have will only pick up WX if Im in Phoenix or Mesa or Tuscon. Outside of town its useless. My cobra 29 NW WX ST recieves weather almost everywhere including Young, Grand Canyon, Alpine, Ray, Bisby, And even Kingman. It might have something to with tryin to recieve a 160mhz frequency with a 2in antenna. Anyway thats my experience.

I see what your saying. I take it then a larger cb antenna has better range? Heck I guess it's time for a weather app on a phone maybe.

The weather app and map app on my phone dont work if Im out of cell service range. Thats kinda the benefit of NOAA service. Not sure how they manage to get that signal way out in the hills but I generaly get WX even without cell service. That being said, Ive used equipment with CAT, Delphi, and JVC Industrial stereo head units that have WX and for some reason they dont seem to work in the same places that my Cobra 29 does... Which I find odd since they are generaly used with about a 20" antenna, which would be closer to the WX resonant length and the am/fm part worked fine. :unsure: go figure I guess

hi 22
yes i agree my 25 wx st bangs in wx anywhere! i drove socal to ne ohio and got it all the way
i would love this feature on a multimode il be looking inside a wx set soon to see if any have a self contained seperate unit you could graft into another radio
or maybe buy a wx only cheap small radio and somehow use all of that inside a rig?
and just use the front knobs n switches
a 148 seems to be an obvious choice im just not keen on them. so would prefer something smaller

May not be exactly what you're looking for but the Midland 79-290 had weather and could be expanded for extra frequencies. No FM though.

THANKS im excited!**Jump_im** a quick look at this rig sounds good! and maybe an fm mod isnt too hard?
EXCEPT at first i couldnt see any mention of wx channels just depends on website

also sounds like theres other radios similar?

great info thankyou!

Last edited:
some what off topic but is there any way to add wx to a galaxy 979 if not i still want to get a bcd996xt thanks

hi thanks again for the info(y) as far as i know this is the only mobile set with multimode and wx from the factory . hard to find though and expensive but there also seems to be another version that does have fm but im not sure it also has wx

great informative clear you tube video too!(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned