• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

All Opinions Welcome

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
My family owns part of a hunting camp in Medix Run, PA. Its at the intersection where Elk, Cameron, and Clearfield counties come together. and about an hour from State College PA on I-80. There is no cell service in the immediate area. The nearest TV station transmits from State College PA and its PBS. So no telephone, No Internet, No broadcast TV. We have AM/FM radio and old DVDs and VHS tapes. The cabin has gone through many remodels in the last 40 years. The current remodel give a slanted, almost flat steel roof. The cabin sits in a very steep valley. Since we are coming into a start of a solar cycle I have been thinking about putting an antenna on the cabin for skip shooting. My model picks up nothing on 6 or 26 in the valley at night. My question being is this going to be a urinating into a tornado venture. my concern being the valley and the ground wave effects with the valley and terrain. Any antenna ideas or dreams drawn on cocktail napkins welcome.

If you're in a valley, the terrain works against you.

Since no telephone (Cell) and TV Reception is limited - the skys' the limit on this problem.

Shoot an arrow into a tree with a string attached and see if you can make one of the taller trees your starting point.

Hope you budgeted some money for a long run of coax.

Here's a look at the topography -
upload_2021-4-3_22-14-43.png

The terrain reminds me of I-86 on the north side of PA north of Ashland and Reading - a route that hugged the mountain range until 86 met up with 90 - bumpy ride but isolated so you can get there and back with fewer problems - just the poor road conditions made the trips rough.

Last edited:
I’ll say, I hope you try several things . . . and if nothing else, work out how well mobile units can communicate with the camp base on the drive in.

Where (map point)?
How well (signal strength)

And what conditions are possible if you drive down to the public road (hang a dipole for mobile remote off the private driveway)?

CB has its uses coming in from the road for every mile previous

In the same vein, if a ridge-top location for a dipole is possible, motor on up to make the connections to the local roads.

Etc

No such thing as too much/too many antennas.

I’m certain I’m not the only vehicle operator who is capable of remote transmit with a portable antenna rig. In your case might be able to get something well up into the trees to wait on use.

The last bit is where one has to go to get CB to work efficiently off-property. Coordinates

I think all these worth the time to pursue.

Good luck!

Reactions: secret squirrel
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.