• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Almost ready to make my first mistakes.

My3kidsfather

Aka Onefinger Missen.
Feb 13, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta.
So it's looking like either a Uniden 980 or a Cobra 148, and a Wilson 2000 60" drilled into the roof about 2/3 of the way from the front of the roof of my 2003 Subaru Outback. Anyway you stack it this is going to be my first mistakes in cb. God willing there will be a few more as well. :)

I like the idea of that Wilson coil off the roof by about 13-14". I don't like fibreglass. There is not a lot of comparison between the 148 and the 980- still looking for info.

I bought a 980 to keep in my truck this winter. I think you'll find most people would chose it over the 148 GTL (late versions). Once you disable the cursed "beep" it's a nice CB for your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot
A Uniden 980 or a new Chinese Cobra 148 would be a mistake you will regret.
A Wilson 2000 on the roof won't work good at all, been there done that.

Last edited:
Sirio Performer 5000 is about the best roof mounted antenna out there.

When installing the 5000, one needs to be cautious of the vehicles roof panel construction. Many light cars and trucks today have flimsy roofs. I had to beef up my Jeep XJ's roof to keep it from wollering all around. The 5000 is a stout and beefy antenna that has some heft to it.

A magnet mount antenna is what I've used for years. Yes, it may be better to permanently mount it by drilling and mounting; but a mag mount will work just fine. Never scrimp on the antennaa you choose, it is the best part of any radio system. A Sirio Performer 5000 with a mag mount is at the top of the heap for versatility and performace these days. A Wilson 1000 or 5000 would be a fine second choice - too.

Nothing at all wrong with the Uniden 980; but the new Cobra 148GTL are not recommended - especially if it is the NW/ST version. You may want to get a decent power mic or noise-cancelling mic to optimize the 980's performance.

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB CB Radio Review.html

Reactions: mrgumby
I did not know there is a cb shop in Leduc. Aidrow in Edmonton normally stocks K40's for their business 2-way installs and suggested that for the Outback. They were unsure that a Wilson was available from their supplier, never mind a Sirio Performer 5000.

But it's not about what they can get right? I will hunt for more info on the Sirio and if it pans out that will be the one installed, from some where. Someone must be able to get it for Edmonton. With igloo mounts not required.

Before you purchase that Uniden Bearcat 980... Psycho has a point.

I purchased one back in September of 2014. I really enjoyed it. Excellent features. Very good stock modulation. Dead on frequency in either AM, LSB or USB. I even bought a second one a few months later.

However, the transmit died on the first one at the 6 1/2 month mark. The transmit engages but there is no RF power out. Looks like the finals died. In reading reviews and researching across the internet, I came across several similar reports.

I have an IMAX 2000. My SWRs across 11 meter CB on my digital meter are from 1.09:1 to 1:29:1 - nothing that should damage anything. Before the Bearcat 980, I ran a 34 year old Realistic Navaho TRC 490 here. After the Bearcat 980 died, I pulled out my 23 year old, Malaysia made Cobra 148GTL. Where the Bearcat failed, the other two older radios have done just fine for many, many years.

They are going dirt cheap now on EBay at $105.99. That would normally be a steal. But between my experience, the similar complaints and the blowout price, my gut tells me there is something wrong with these radios. This scenario smells of "caveat emptor": may the buyer beware.

I wouldn't touch it!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.