• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alpha 10 Max AM-1000 Overview

Well looks like Ill be waiting even longer then GRRRRR!!! I was asking myself the very same question "why the hell didnt they put 12 meters in this radeio with so many features?"

I mean some of these features this radio sports are features found in some of my HF rigs. I was looking forward to running one of these mobile for 10-12 meters and seen it was 10 as far as expansion went. Strange but thanks to this forum having so many members from around the globe we get alot of the scoop on questions we have . Please keep us posted on these new runs. (y)

I love it! it sounds like the perfect cb radio,you order it spending too much money cause its something new out and pay too much for shipping.
When it arrives you tear into the box hook it up and find out how sorry it is and have to send it off to get it repaired,paying more shipping:eek:

awesome radio!!!

If you absolutely need a radio with those features then go for it, if you want a radio with all around great output and audio I'd look elsewhere.

i have been looking at and playing with the ver3 and ver3.1 of this radio for a few days,

stock mic is very poor,
the cartridge only makes about 5-6mv if you scream into it and there is no bass response,
don't let the thin sounding stock mic fool you, the radio's tx audio passband is wider than many cb's, a change of mic makes a world of difference,

the stock mic is moulded for either the dynamic cartridge or an electret condenser cartridge,
running an electret from the 4.5v up/dwn/asc pin4 works but it is a very noisy supply and not one id use, sending dc up the audio wire is one option, changing the mic socket is another option,
a cheap electret condenser cartridge sounds much better than the horribly thin stock dynamic cartridge,

there is an alc circuit in the mic preamp stage that limits maximum audio, adding a power mic brings average audio up and background noise up but you don't get much louder without internal alterations,
it sounds like the pumpy audio from kenwoods ts570 480 2000 when using an amplified mic, all background noise and no peaks with obtrusive time constants,
keeping the mic input down so at least some of your audio is below the limiter helps preserve some dynamic range,
imho the mic alc needs its time constants and threshold changing for best results,

some power mics work ok and some don't, the astatic 575 thumps out over 150mv when you key up which pounds the mic limiter causing a long delay of about 8 seconds before you get audio,
adding an attenuator to the mic output solves the delay, the moded 575 sounds much better than the stock mic,

also tried the kenwood mc80, theres no alc pounding delay but it has too much bass imho, a series polycap about .022- .033uf cures that issue and makes the mc80 sound about 10x better than the stock mic,

fm receive sensitivity is good for a cb but audio is too bass heavy/muffled to my ears, some locals like the wooly fm receive and some don't, it should be easy to fix with a couple of cap changes, i can't fix peoples ears,

ssb receive :oops:,
this IS the main issue, some people say turning the rf gain down makes it sound ok but i don't agree,
the ssb agc timing is screwed up,
i will change the ssb agc time constants, hopefully this will stop strong stations popping and farting the receiver and minimise the s-meter jumping around like a mod meter,
i have the feeling that there is something else not right with the ssb receiver that fixing the agc won't cure but first i must fix the agc and see what my ears tell me,

am sounds acceptable so long as you lose the stock mic but its no out of the box screamer,
i don't see why it can't be made to swing like the other exports using irf520 finals if thats your thing, it uses very similar circuitry,

ssb tx is pretty good if you use a decent mic,

frequency stability is decent for a cb radio, not a lump of driftwood like magnums ect,

i can hear the inverter squeeling but thats not unique to this radio and many people won't notice it

i bought my anytone for experimental purposes ;)

agc timing screwed up, lol, i ain't seen the schematic yet but sounds like the designers have ripped unidens circuit off as they were always fucking up on agc timing, and never fixed it even when it became common knowledge they just ploughed on regardless. the president jackson was a classic example.

i'm very curious as to why a circuit diagram isn't available, what do they not want people to see?

i'm very surprised your the first person to mention inverter squealing Bob, maybe you were bang on a year or so ago when you told me you can't fix peoples lack of hearing, lol.

parts of the circuit are familiar jazz,
ic part numbers are different but a look at the component datasheets show some parts of the circuit are much like what we have seen in the past,

today the squeel is gone, i have a head cold with fluid on the lugs(y)

parts of the circuit are familiar jazz,
ic part numbers are different but a look at the component datasheets show some parts of the circuit are much like what we have seen in the past,

no major surprise there then.

today the squeel is gone, i have a head cold with fluid on the lugs(y)

living in the frozen north thats my permanent state, this week i've had the added bonus of a chest infection/virus trying its best to kill me.

I fear it may have more chance than some of the bullshitters on cb forums that have tried the same, lol.

whoever said growing old was graceful? :LOL::LOL:

hope you get better soon mate, i'd miss your no bullshit approach to radio.;) and poor Mel would have no-one to blame for everything :tongue:,lol.

Please could I ask does anyone have the 10max software for programming at all that they could kindly send me? I am told it is different to the EU version and am curious and would like a look.
Please PM me with an email address if you could help me.

Thanks
Simon

Looks like Hans is indeed, a miracle worker on these radios. I womder when these mods, or the modded radios will be available in North America?

I might just buy one! (y)

hello simon could you please tell me if hans modded the agc problem..?the problem is with the receive on ssb witch sounds very strange on receive with local signals? by the way great video simon ... (y)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.