• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ALS-500M Would YOU use one in the shack???

I would not use the 500 without puresignal wrapped around it..maybe the same for the 600. Im sure you've looked at the transistor spec sheets. -24db at 100 watts for the 2879 leaves a lot to be desired. The mrf 150s in the ALS 600 aren't that impressive either at -32 db. If you buy the 500 new will it come with Toshiba transistors?

Ameritron doesn't give IMD specs for either amplifier in their respective manuals. They do with their tube amps. Most of them are "-35 db or better".

I'm not sold on the solid state stuff yet.

I know this post is a little old, BUT..........
I have one of these ALS-500M amplifiers to use in mobile use for all bands.
Manufacture date sticker inside is 02/2022 .......
Quality control sucks. It would not key when everything was connected. I had to troubleshoot the amplifier using Ameritron's schematics. Finally traced the issue to faulty assembly work on the bias PCB ...... Working just fine now.
It came with, believe it or not, PP100 transistors ........ I was blown away when I saw these transistors in this amplifier.
Upgraded the power wiring, and installing 4 brand new Original Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors. These are from my personal stock.
It should perform just fine for mobile HF operations. I am just looking for 350 +/- watts or so for mobile use.

I know this post is a little old, BUT..........
I have one of these ALS-500M amplifiers to use in mobile use for all bands.
Manufacture date sticker inside is 02/2022 .......
Quality control sucks. It would not key when everything was connected. I had to troubleshoot the amplifier using Ameritron's schematics. Finally traced the issue to faulty assembly work on the bias PCB ...... Working just fine now.
It came with, believe it or not, PP100 transistors ........ I was blown away when I saw these transistors in this amplifier.
Upgraded the power wiring, and installing 4 brand new Original Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors. These are from my personal stock.
It should perform just fine for mobile HF operations. I am just looking for 350 +/- watts or so for mobile use.
They used the PP-100 transistors after Toshiba stopped production, and quality control is almost non existent at MFJ now days.
W8JI has documented a ton of issues with these amps.
Sloppy construction, parts missing, wrong parts.....and the list goes on

Jeff

I already have power supply to run it. I'd prefer to buy an ALS-600 with linear supply, but that would cost me over $1k more over the 500M. The radio interface cable for auto band switching would be berries.

Do you think the 500M running 12 volts is to dirty for base operation?
I owned both an ALS-600 & ALS-500 & I would never own another ALS-600.Mine spent more time on the Big Brown Truck than it did here.It went back to Ameritron 4 times & each time the same day that it was returned to me from them.It was a Train Wreck that I parted ways with quickly but it cost me a lot of money on shipping charges.I don't know if they finally fixed the issue since I left it in the sealed box after the last trip & I traded it for an Ameritron 811H that I Rarely ever had any issues with even after I owned it for over 10 years.The ALS-500 is a very dependable amplifier & nobody can tell the difference between the two amps on the air.I owned both over 10 years ago & they were not the same as the new models being sold today.

W8JI has done performance reviews on both the ALS-500 and the ALS-600 and he does not like either to be used in a base setup. Both amps have low IMD performance and as he says, while mobile it is far less likely to pose much of a problem but as a fixed station the low IMD performance may cause interference.

I was considering adding a ALS-500 to the shack until I started reading some of those performance reviews. Also, I’ve heard they require a 50 amp continuous power supply to run Right? Didn’t make too much sense for a 4 transistor amp.

I was considering adding a ALS-500 to the shack until I started reading some of those performance reviews. Also, I’ve heard they require a 50 amp continuous power supply to run Right? Didn’t make too much sense for a 4 transistor amp.

It doesn't require a 50 amp power supply to operate, but performance would likely be limited if using less than a 70 amp power supply.

I already have power supply to run it. I'd prefer to buy an ALS-600 with linear supply, but that would cost me over $1k more over the 500M. The radio interface cable for auto band switching would be berries.

Do you think the 500M running 12 volts is to dirty for base operation?
Are you going to use it on CB? Or is it going to be used for hamster activities? To be honest with you, I love the idea of the no tune solid state amplifier, but nobody ever wants to repair those things. I don't like them honestly. I think they're just okay

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.