• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alternative to Channel 19

At the moment I am pleased no one is trying to sell me a Stryker radio with the magic New Mexico Desert Dust from the Lone Wolf Winnebago on Channel 19.
Wait, you mean he hasn't been out there?? I'm on the low side of 19 with my folk so it would be so cool that he is momentarily silent. Permanent would be better, but I'll take what I can get.

In the winter time like now, close to the peak of the cycle, I still talk to truck drivers on the Dalton Hwy in Alaska on ch 19 AM. CB is there main radio in that area.

Summer time I usually talk to lots of drivers in Alberta, Sack. and Manitoba, again on ch 19 AM.

But, I am only able to do this by using the horizontal beam, can't hear them on the GP.

Would be nice if there was some "gentleman's agreement" on which channel was used for what purpose, but for that to happen, there would have to be rational human beings.

• Haha
Reactions: BC Coyote
My ideal radio for truckers in particular, would have the capabilities of working on either Ch19 or some other UHF frequencies, along with some new antenna designs that will cover both. IMO It’s too tough to convince most buyers to purchase separate radios, but a single system will introduce the benefits in short order. Once these new radios are sold on the market (if ever), I predict, at least during skip conditions that many drivers will ever switch back to 19. I would like to have a radio that contains all the regular 40ch modes on one channel selector, and a separate selector that covers the regular FRS/ GMRS frequencies. That shouldn't be too much to ask given we are living in a micro processor world. It seems everything else in electronics has incorporated the "all in one" concept.

A Yaesu FT-857 would cover all those frequencies, or any other DC-to-Daylight radio. You can also get a quad band antenna that covers 10m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm, so tuning it a little different for 11m and the GMRS frequencies just above the Ham band should be doable. Would probably throw off the 6m and 2m bands, tho. But, having something FCC type accepted is probably never going to happen.

I've always thought people should move off of 19 and leave it for the "drivers". I know I'm asking for a lot, but respectful operation goes a long way. Like no AM on 36-40. Guess I'm showing my age.
Not a lot of respect on 36-40 either. People just go where they want to, and I'm not saying the FCC could have avoided it all, but if they had expanded from 23 to 45 channels (1ch below 1 up to 4 ch above 40) and then declare an actual channel/mode layout it could have better. Something like ch.16, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 for SSB use, All other channels (except 6) for non-SSB use. Ch.6 could have been reserved for folks with minor mental issues who can't seem to talk a complete sentence using many words unknown to mankind...

Reactions: walterjn
A Yaesu FT-857 would cover all those frequencies, or any other DC-to-Daylight radio. You can also get a quad band antenna that covers 10m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm, so tuning it a little different for 11m and the GMRS frequencies just above the Ham band should be doable. Would probably throw off the 6m and 2m bands, tho. But, having something FCC type accepted is probably never going to happen.
I love those 757's! Anyone in town that used one on 11m was the big dog of the block. I have a GX monitoring 16 now with a cheap MLA-30 loop antenna on the wall. I just have to leave it "ON" 24/7 due to the internal battery gone dead (if I want to keep my band A and B frequencies alive. It'll be a pain, but I'm almost through emptying boxes from our move last summer to give me room to open 'er up. I've seen a few videos already, so I know it'll be a pain. THAT was a stupid design by Yaesu, and you can bet I'll be taking videos and photos with the phone should something interrupt the procedure for awhile, after I have it apart, because I think the battery in my brain that keeps all my info alive, is getting a bit weak.

Truckers in Canada are still using 19.
Not in BC ! Truckers here NEVER used 19. It was always channel 1 or 10 on CB to avoid all the skip noise on 19.
Since about 15 years ago, truckers in BC moved to the LADD channels, usually LADD 1 which is 154.100 MHz
I haven't heard a local trucker on CB out here in a very very long time now.
I suspect the traffic you're hearing on 19 is likely US truckers driving in Canada.

Right now unless you dial off into free band, every one of the 40 channels is packed with "skip shooters", good luck finding a open channel.
Then good luck getting everyone involved on the same channel, add to that DX is world wide at the moment, so the channel you pick may get loaded up with South America stations one day and some other part of the world the next.

As soon as the solar cycle dies down it will no longer be an issue, its like this every time propagation rises and falls.
By 2026 or so we will be starting on the down slope and by 2032 everyone will be listening to static and asking where did the skip go?

It's been like this every solar cycle I can remember since I started playing radio.

Jeff
Even dialing into 41-44 there is still quite a bit of traffic there. I do think it would be nice if the guys on 38 would just use it as a call channel then take it to another channel...
I enjoy going to .555 and sandbagging. Guys there will show up, call a few times and state what frequency they are going to be on for QSOs. It's so very peaceful up there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.