• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alternator whine.

Hardhead

Dec 8, 2005
Georgia
I have my 520XL hooked up on my bike. I ran power direct to the battery. I have no spark noise, thank God, but I do have a whine from the stator. I put a noise filter at the battery end but it is still there. Do I need to move the filter to the radio end of the power cable?

Other suggestions appreciated.

Hardhead said:
I have my 520XL hooked up on my bike. I ran power direct to the battery. I have no spark noise, thank God, but I do have a whine from the stator. I put a noise filter at the battery end but it is still there. Do I need to move the filter to the radio end of the power cable?

Other suggestions appreciated.

Do you actually have an alternator, or a mag? Yes, put it at the radio (the noise filter).

Disconnect the antenna. Does it still come in? If so, its from the power lines. If not, then it's picking it up from the antenna lead, and the only thing you can do is fix it at the source.

--Toll_Free

I had the exact same situation. My radio is a Pro510, installed on a Kawasaki KLR650 enduro bike, running a Wilson 5000 Trucker antenna. I used an MTI LM-P5 filter, and it all but knocked it out. I connected mine as close to the radio as I could get it and still tuck it away. Take a look at this page to find this MTI filter.

Thanks, Toll_free and DTB.

That got most of it. I had a line filter. Some of the hum was a Ground loop noise. I grounded the board to the chassis at the speaker output jacks and that took care of that part of it.
I can still hear my headlight flasher oscillate. I may try a cap on the headlight.

Thanks again.

Unbelieveable the things (and money) we do to try and get rid of unwanted engine or antenna noise in our receives !! , I suppose being a motor cycle you pretty much need to use a smaller type of radio ? my next idea would have been if you could have changed the radio to a cobra or uniden type 25 or 66 type radio , I have found that over the years ,those type radios have some of the best ANL's / NB's I've ever used on a radio. Good luck to you HH .

Switch Kit said:
Unbelieveable the things (and money) we do to try and get rid of unwanted engine or antenna noise in our receives !!
Good luck to you HH .

Yes, it had to be small enought to fit the windshield pouch.

Luck to you also.

DTB Radio said:
I had the exact same situation. My radio is a Pro510, installed on a Kawasaki KLR650 enduro bike, running a Wilson 5000 Trucker antenna. I used an MTI LM-P5 filter, and it all but knocked it out. I connected mine as close to the radio as I could get it and still tuck it away. Take a look at this page to find this MTI filter.
DTB,

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna try one those. Hope ya still have a few left.

73's :!:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.