• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur trying to setup my "Rig"

nates90

Mar 2, 2011
I am trying to put a new CB setup in my T-600 kenworth. I want to use the original fiberglass wipe antennas. I was going to use the original coax cable but it is in very poor shape. This is what I don't understand. I was following each side to the CB mount (center of the dash) and the coax loops around the windshield then goes to the CB. Then it has a splitting cable to connect both to the CB. The CB I will be using is the Galaxie 949 DX. If anyone could help me out, that would be awsome, because I dont understand any of this.....just the "hooking up" part of it. Thanks.

Sounds like to me it would be just easier using just one of the wipe antennas, other one would just be a dummy.

Sounds like to me it would be just easier using just one of the wipe antennas, other one would just be a dummy.

True. I have never been a large fan of Co-Phased antennas.
I only posted the link to help him answer his question regarding the harness.
If I drove a big truck (I Don't) I would run a P10K at the center of the rear of the cab.

(Or a Coily or 55 or a Wilson, etc. Whichever antenna you believe to be the best for your particular application.):D

My dad use to drive a big rig and had dual whips , the passenger side way a 4 foot firestick to the cb and the drivers side was the same antenna to his am/fm radio. He liked the dual matched antenna look but said co phased was a pain in the @sk to tune.

co phase antennas are a pain in the a$$. and notr really worth it.
id go for a single antenna of your choice and 50 ohm coax
yours is probaly 75 ohm so wont work on a single setup.

Ditch the crappy fiberglass antennas. They will only get you 1 mile up the road. Especially if your going to run a decent radio like galaxy. Go w a 10k like the guy said above. But make sure you replace that coax. That is the most important thing especially if you said its not in good shape.

If you dont do this, then you could be buying a new radio soon.

You are correct, co-phasing really isn't worth the time or trouble.

Run a single whip.
Attach it to a good ground plane.
Bigger coil = worse efficiency.

Best efficiency would be a 102" whip off the center-back of the cab mounted to a solid piece of metal that connects with the metal frame. Don't worry about the fiberglass, RF will pass through it without a problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.