• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amazing ears

roadrage

I have my Galaxy 95t2 in my pick-up. It has some pretty good talk power but my receive is pretty noisy. On the other hand, I have my Uniden Grant in my fishing truck. It is barefoot so it doesn't have much for needle bending power, but doesn't that thing have an awesome receiver. I get better receive with my Grant using just a K30 mag mount than I do with my Galaxy and a 102" on the center of my roof. It is actually amazing how much better it picks up signals well when the other radio either can't hear, or barely hears them. And on an inferior antenna, and with much less white noise. I love that radio.

A Uniden Grant xl properly aligned is tough to beat, same goes for the Cobra 2000, Uniden Madison, and Washington cb sets. A good place to start on an Export radio is actually have the receive aligned. Most people skip this step.

Reactions: 3 people
A Uniden Grant xl properly aligned is tough to beat, same goes for the Cobra 2000, Uniden Madison, and Washington cb sets. A good place to start on an Export radio is actually have the receive aligned. Most people skip this step.

I actually have had the receive done on the 95t2. Don't get me wrong, the receive isn't bad on it. It just isn't anywhere near as good as my Grant. I have had some raving audio reports on SSB with it too. Some day I'll have a small amp to match up with it. It is hard to get your numbers called when so many people are running amps and you are barefoot, peaking 16-20W.

I actually have had the receive done on the 95t2. Don't get me wrong, the receive isn't bad on it. It just isn't anywhere near as good as my Grant. I have had some raving audio reports on SSB with it too. Some day I'll have a small amp to match up with it. It is hard to get your numbers called when so many people are running amps and you are barefoot, peaking 16-20W.

most of those older cb radios do have better recieve than the exports. only
my ar3500 is as good as my x2 grant xls and my washington. id use the grant xl
with the 102 whip and a small amp. kl-203 or t.s. 250hdv.

most of those older cb radios do have better recieve than the exports. only
my ar3500 is as good as my x2 grant xls and my washington. id use the grant xl
with the 102 whip and a small amp. kl-203 or t.s. 250hdv.

I do plan on running an amp with it sometime. As my hunting and fishing truck a 102" whip isn't very usable for me. Though they are almost indestructible, they still make tons of noise when it whacks every tree branch in the woods. It scares the game away. I have a set of old Archer flexible fiberglass whips on my truck now. When I bonded the truck, my SWR rose significantly and my whips are short. They are trim to tune. I was going to make a riser for them but I found a pair of Everhardt TMS flexible whips to replace them. I just hope they are as tough as those Archers. Those have taken some extreme abuse. I can't believe they haven't broken. I sandwiched one between a tree and the cab hard enough to dent the cab and the whip was fine. I put a spare K30 on the roof to get me by for now till my new antennas get here.

I have an older Grant, pre XL, looked like the President model. I have not powered it up in years I if memory serves me right it had very good ears and decent audio on SSB.

Yes they do. When I do make an SSB contact, I get raving reports of my audio quality. It is hard to beat some of these older radios. Finding one that is unmolested seems harder and harder. Another old radio that performs well is a Cobra 146 GTL. I let a few go by, several months ago on ebay, thinking that I can find one anytime. They were selling for $25 and $30. Now that I'm looking for one, I can't find one for a reasonable price. I am only finding "buy it now" radios that are over priced.

I have an older Grant, pre XL, looked like the President model. I have not powered it up in years I if memory serves me right it had very good ears and decent audio on SSB.

sounds like you have the president grant . those were the best imho. i liked those even
better than the xl , but thats just me.i always liked that layout of the knobs better than the
xl.

I do plan on running an amp with it sometime. As my hunting and fishing truck a 102" whip isn't very usable for me. Though they are almost indestructible, they still make tons of noise when it whacks every tree branch in the woods. It scares the game away. I have a set of old Archer flexible fiberglass whips on my truck now. When I bonded the truck, my SWR rose significantly and my whips are short. They are trim to tune. I was going to make a riser for them but I found a pair of Everhardt TMS flexible whips to replace them. I just hope they are as tough as those Archers. Those have taken some extreme abuse. I can't believe they haven't broken. I sandwiched one between a tree and the cab hard enough to dent the cab and the whip was fine. I put a spare K30 on the roof to get me by for now till my new antenna.

watch how much power you put thru those antennas. they only handle about half
what they advrertise them for. same goes for the k-30

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned