• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron 80b problem

stargazer19

Mar 10, 2022
I have an ameritron 80b amp after 5 minutes of operation I am losing my drive . left side meter goes to zero on transmition Its
not overheating as my fan and cooling are in operation. I have this unit for 10 years and this is puzzling . Is this a simple fix
or does it require sending back to Ameritron. 73 Peter

So your plate or grid current go to zero? Are you still reading HV? You’re losing your drive? Do you mean RF output from the AL-80b or from your transceiver?

When you lose your drive is the Xmit light still lit or does it go out?

Brad
KE0XS
South of Pittsburgh

The AL80B from 1991 is a lot different from the one they sell now.

Not quite like a motor vehicle, where the model year is part of what identifies it. The newest versions have a "dynamic bias" circuit. It holds the tube current down until your drive signal arrives, switching it on when needed.

Or so the theory goes. Older versions simply allow a tenth of an Amp more or less to flow through the tube with no drive signal so long as the amplifier is keyed. This makes the tube run hot even before any drive power reaches the tube. The dynamic circuit is intended to reduce that heat stress.

If it fails, no tube current. And if yours is older than the current incarnation, only a zener diode sets the tube's idle current.

This amplifier has been made for decades. Just pinning down which AL80B you have is only a starting point.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.