• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron ALS-1300 HF Solid State Amplifier Review Revisited

Keep your eyes peeled...

heard Jun at dayton,.... he said the als 1300 now has 6 meters at full rated amp output.

he didn't give many other DETAILS or PRICE, and it doesnt show up on any dealers listings either,:confused:

i'll send him an e mail and ask for info.

Last edited:
just called Amertron @662 323 8211,.... and they don't know anything about adding 6 meters.

I,m POSITIVE that he specifically said the amp was in production and that it actually did full rated output on 6

just called Amertron @662 323 8211,.... and they don't know anything about adding 6 meters.

I,m POSITIVE that he specifically said the amp was in production and that it actually did full rated output on 6

Martin asked me not to announce it at the time, but since he apparently said it at Dayton...

He told me via email 6 months or so ago that this amp with 6 meters should be available by Dayton 2012.

Martin asked me not to announce it at the time, but since he apparently said it at Dayton...

He told me via email 6 months or so ago that this amp with 6 meters should be available by Dayton 2012.

thanks,... I went back to the K5KUB web site and listened to the video with Martin again, and confirmed that I really heard what he said.

I'll call MFJ directly Tuesday instead of Ameritron ,... perhaps I was just taiking to the wrong person and they just wouldn't tell me that they didn't know

Well what did Ameritron say about 6 meters? If they do it and make this amp run, it will KILL Icom and Yaesu on price alone.

Well what did Ameritron say about 6 meters? If they do it and make this amp run, it will KILL Icom and Yaesu on price alone.

dunno about that,..... I didn't get any answers or a price, but,... I expect it to be a few hundred $ more than the current als 1300.

I gave up and bought a Tokyo High Power amp! ;)

it works GREAT**Jump_im**

My degree's are in Aviation, Business, and Biology. That said the second I read the locked review of this product my first thought was not input filtering but powers supply issues. The put filtering was 2-3 thoughts down on my list of obvious problems.I have never seen input filtering issues take out a power supply on a solid state device. Keep in mind it did not just trip protection it fried one of the two power supply units both times which is why it would not power up either time after the fault. It also made me question the design of the protection circuit if it was so slow to act that it twice fried a power supply.We all like to use light weight cheap switching power supplies today for obvious reasons. That said you really need a larger margin for failure than Ameritron has given themselves. With out tunning the output side each time you switch bands I doubt they could make it any more effecient at the level of the transistor. I think they just lowered the output power in some area's to keep the unit from drawing more current then the power supply can provide which is not increased efficiency. The input side is prob. as good as it will get with simple filter designs.

Other than Ten-Tec I cannot imagine anyone designing an input filter expressly for the purpose of keeping one narrow silver of band width from using the amp and allowing that single design element to spoil the amplifier. If that is true that would make the designers of this amp the worst designers in the history or solid state amateur amplifier design. We are not talking about a minor problem people are having issues with this 1300 unit and it's kid brother the 600. That is like tossing the baby out with the bath water than crushing the babies head with the but of a rifle! Then to make MARS operation suspect and limited and no 6m coverage!!

How many people on 11m are going to even look at this box and want it? None. If someone was going to buy something from Ameritron it would be a tube amp. They already have their own people building LDMOS 50V mobile and base amplifiers. So the premise of it all is pretty stupid really. That would be like thinking a CB'er would want somethign Ten-Tec built!

On top of that modifying an input tuning board is not that hard if someone was that set on using it on CB. The input filtering is where the bottle neck is. The power is issue is because the power supplies are not up to scratch especialy when you stop and think about this being hooked to a 220v not 110v. Imagine the problems this uni will have at 110v!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated