• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp direction / suggestion

Quiksilver

Oct 23, 2006
Washington State, USA
What would be the preferred method, or method of choice for a base setup. I have a Cobra 2000GTL, and a Yaesu FT-897D, and would like to run a amplifier. Most of the work will be done on the Cobra. I'm debating if I should upgrade my power supply to an Astron RS-70M & purchase a Texas Star DX350 or 400 @ +/- $650. Or go with a Ameritron AL-811 @ +/- $700.
Will the tube amp be a cleaner / better sounding choice?
Thanks for your input!

The tube amp should be cleaner, but I don't think the 2000 is going to be able to drive it very well.

from what i understand the ameritron need about 70 or 80 watts to drive it . youll need to use a PTT switch for am and i may be wrong but i think on AM plan for about half the rated power because of the increased duty cycle . it should be cleaner than texas stars , but i doubt anyone on a cb or export could ever tell the difference . since youve already got a ham radio i say ameritron all the way and get a small cheap sweep tube amp for a driver for the cobra for less tha $100 used .

It will double the cost, but personally I think you'd be better off with an AL-80 amplifier. They are more economical in the long run. The 811 tubes are gong to be increasingly harder to get. They will only 'do' about 1/8th to 1/4th as much as a 3-500, and the 3-500 will be around for longer than the 811 will be. Multi-tube amplifiers are just not as good a deal as you may think. A single tube amplifier will be much simpler to work on, not produce near the waste heat, and will typically be much cheaper to re-tube. If this is to be a 'base' amplifier, it just makes sense to use a tube type rather than a solid state amplifier. 'Bumping' voltages up is much easier/cheaper than dropping voltage. That assumes you're starting with 120 or 240 VAC. If you're starting from 12 VDC, forget it, get the solid state.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.