• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amp for the radio

dxing440

Apr 10, 2011
cobra 29 lx le .5w-5w DK, (RMS) and swing 18w-30w (RMS)
5w-15w DK (PEP) 45w-75w (PEP)
Will the TS500V handle this kind of power? My Ram 2500 Cummins produces 14.4v thats why the radio does a little more.

Will the TS500V handle this kind of power? My Ram 2500 Cummins produces 14.4v thats why the radio does a little more.

The maximum that amp should have 5 watts carriers and around 25 watts pep.

ok thanks alot i would keep the radio turned down on power, just didnt want to blow it if the knob got bumped or needed a little more drive.

How is a Cobra 29 swinging to 18-30 watts RMS? I have never seen one do any more than swing 10 watts average before.

it probably has one of those RFX thingahmabobbers on it .
i bet the class C amp builders love them , then they can sell a more expensive 6 or 8 pill amp for the radio rather than a 4 pill that's only 1/2 a s-unit or less behind them on TX .....

It does an RFX75 thingamabobber on it. (PEP) is always more than (RMS) and im not sure how most amps are rated, when they talk about a 1-2w carrier,and let it swing! Is it in (PEP) or (RMS) Im new to amps, so i got some learnin to do.
I also have an rci2950 (non dx) and will use the amp for SSB, thats why i was leaning toward the TS500 if the cobra wont burn the finals.

Told you i got some learning to do, then average and PEP. Either one, which do they talk about when talking amps, what they will handle and not handle?

i dont worry about average or rms power since AM and SSB are modulated transmissions and pep power will track with modulation peaks to produce that modulation . and of course i try to dead-key as close to %25 pep as i can on AM .

There's no such thing as "RMS power". There's PEP, and there's AVERAGE.

There is RMS VOLTAGE, yes. But not RMS power.

I think "Dosy" was the biggest promoter of the term by sticking a RMS (root mean square) label on the Test Center Meters....the misconception had to be true after that.
Any way, I think what the guys are getting at is that your dead key with no audio should not change be it AVG or Peak or PEP or anything else.
The only time it should change is if you apply Audio of some type.
Is this just a standard radio, or does it have some kind of Amp/RFX type add on?

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.