• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp Help

pimphand442

Jun 11, 2011
i have a palomar 250tx with 2 mrf454's and i was told i could buy 2 2sc2879's and install them and i could have more power. well that did not work i put them in and the output transformer started smoking dont now what to do now cant find any schematic to put it back to original or anything to uograde the transistors any help would be greatly appriciated.....

Who ever told you that had no clue. An amplifier is designed to function as a complete package. In order to swap finals out to larger finals several parts of the amp have to be re-worked or re-engineered to work right. This will cost alot of money to do. You are ALWAYS better to sell the amp you have and buy a bigger amp if you need MOPOWA.

Dang...the Golden Screwdriver wins again :sad:

Or looses, depending on how you look at it.

Swapping transistors is always a bad idea as stated above. The extra power gained is not worth the effort and expense and will hardly be noticed on the other end. Remember you have to double the power output to show even half an S-unit difference on the other end and swapping transistors will not make that much difference.

You would most likely need to change the capacitors to cancel the inductance on the output transformers and the capacitors for decoupling of the output transformers and that in itself is relatively inexpensive and re-tune the input.

dxChat
Help Users