• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amp help

Another thing to consider is that the Silver Eagle 200 came out in the 1980's and has small transistors in it. I think it will either have a pair of MFR-455 or MRF-454 transistors that will draw less current then the 2SC2879. This amp certainly is not going to hold 200 watts average output power. Realistically on AM I wouldn't run the amp past 50 watts carrier. Perhaps even less if it can't peak 200 watts and it may not.

While I admit this is not the best suggestion however if there is nothing else on your 16 amp supply, it just may run that old Silver Eagle. It's worth a try to check and see if it can maintain the 12 volts under load. Nearly all power supplies today have over current protection that will fold back the voltage before blowing up if the load is too large.

If it works, keep in mind you will be maxing out that power supply every time you key up. Over time this can contribute to premature power supply failure. I would estimate at least a 50% chance the supply will run your amp if you avoid getting long winded. If the power supply has a heat sink, monitor it's temperature during use. If you can't keep your hand on the heat sink, talk less or buy a bigger supply.

Another thing to consider is that the Silver Eagle 200 came out in the 1980's and has small transistors in it. I think it will either have a pair of MFR-455 or MRF-454 transistors that will draw less current then the 2SC2879. This amp certainly is not going to hold 200 watts average output power. Realistically on AM I wouldn't run the amp past 50 watts carrier. Perhaps even less if it can't peak 200 watts and it may not.

While I admit this is not the best suggestion however if there is nothing else on your 16 amp supply, it just may run that old Silver Eagle. It's worth a try to check and see if it can maintain the 12 volts under load. Nearly all power supplies today have over current protection that will fold back the voltage before blowing up if the load is too large.

If it works, keep in mind you will be maxing out that power supply every time you key up. Over time this can contribute to premature power supply failure. I would estimate at least a 50% chance the supply will run your amp if you avoid getting long winded. If the power supply has a heat sink, monitor it's temperature during use. If you can't keep your hand on the heat sink, talk less or buy a bigger supply.

if i recall the silver eagle is just a rm kl400 with a fan added which used either 2 x mrf 455 or 2 x sd1446.

theres no way it will do 200w cleanly.add a low pass filter after it and i'm certain you will see the power figures drop on a power meter.i would imagine around 150-160w max.

if i recall correctly they draw about 20 amps at full drive/output.

which equals 20a x 13.8v = 276w x 60% efficiency = approx 165w, they were fused with 2 x 12 amp fuses which suggests that 20 amps is about right.

if efficiency is as low as 55% then your looking at 276 x 55% = 151.8w

i would use a 25/30 amp psu if using it alone or a 40 amp psu if using it with an export/cb radio,which would leave a bit of leeway to prevent the psu running full belt and facing a premature end.

as shockwave says if you don't drive it full belt you may get away with a 16 amp psu,but i wouldn't expect your psu to last too long running at close to its maximum.much better to use a much larger psu and play it safe.

trouble with your calculation Garth is the 200w is the amps "QUOTED,NOT REALISTICALLY,TYPICAL ITALIAN POWER MEASUREMENT" output figure not the amps input figure,therefore efficiency is already taken care off.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.