• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp Opinions

dxing440

Apr 10, 2011
Based on users of both a Palomar, and Texas Star which would you use if only had to choose one? And dont forget about SSB use!

Palomar Elite900 HD, or Texas Star 500V?

ive had a TS 500v and a palomar 225 that is ab biased and filtered . i drove them with a uniden washington doing 16-17 watts pep . i got about 500 watts from the texas star and i kept the palomar under 200 watts pep . both amps got compliments on ssb so either will be fine . i sold the 500v and kept the 225 , not because the 225 was cleaner , but because the 300 watt difference didn't seem to make any contact difference with folks a few counties away and it didn't seem to make any difference with skip contacts either .

i stick with ab biased amps . is the 900 HD a class c amp ?
ill also recommend the texas star over the 900 HD .

i sold the 500v and kept the 225 , not because the 225 was cleaner , but because the 300 watt difference didn't seem to make any contact difference with folks a few counties away and it didn't seem to make any difference with skip contacts either .
That's 4db, you'd think someone would have picked up on it.

yep , a hair over 1/2 an s-unit .
this is purely an opinion , but i think modulation is more important or has more effect on the success of a tx being received than a 1/2 an s-unit . ya just gotta be careful no to be over-modulated so you keep maximum intelligibility and clarity ..... which isnt difficult .

I personally believe that to increase your chances of being heard in DX, you should strive for maximum splatter and over-modulation across all 40 standard CB channels.

I have also found that screaming into the Mic and talking so fast that no one can understand you seems to help as well. :whistle:

Warning: This is an intentionally bad natured post!

Last edited:
I personally believe that to increase your chances of being heard in DX, you should strive for maximum splatter and over-modulation across all 40 standard CB channels.

I have also found that screaming into the Mic and talking so fast that no one can understand you seems to help as well. :whistle:

I agree and to add to this I love the channel 6 audio, you know the one's who sound as if they have a ladies stocking stretched over their faces.

this is purely an opinion , but i think modulation is more important or has more effect on the success of a tx being received than a 1/2 an s-unit . ya just gotta be careful no to be over-modulated so you keep maximum intelligibility and clarity ..... which isnt difficult .

A couple of guys drove up here from Cincy/Dayon area to drop some radios off to the local tech because they heard about him. When they dropped them off they swung backward, when they picked them up they swung forward. Apparently they weren't too happy about that, a lot of the bowlers seem to think that a huge carrier will "get you in first". Whatever, I can't understand what half of those guys on 6 are even saying.

Pro151 your forgetting about echo and squeal from your talkback! Now when you add this with overmodulation and scream into the mic so close that we can hear your tongue hit the screen! That is how you get out in DX land!:LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.