• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp Supply LK-5200zc cap question

Fdtrucker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 5, 2005
Southern Shore Of Lake Ontario
I have an Amp Supply lk-500zc that blew a 100pf 5kv capacitor on the 160m side. There is a bank of 5 of these in parallel. I went to change them out with 100pf 6kv caps and the replacements heated up and 1 blew within 5 seconds. Then decided to go to Mouser and replace them with some higher voltage rated ones. This time with 15kv caps. WTF! They did the same thing. The ones from Mouser were pretty tiny compared to the originals. Question is: Where can I get some 100pf caps that are like the originals? Maybe its a current issue and not a voltage issue?? Seems that everything out there is crap! Originals are "MDC" red ones.

Just looked. Them suckers aint cheep! If I get a big enough 15kv or higher 500pf that should work to. (In theory) Gonna try that instead of getting 5 100pf's. The original ones look like regular ceramic disk caps thats what threw me off. It does not have ceramic discs installed. If anything it will be alot more stable on 160 after the upgrade.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.