• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AMP TOOK A DUMP!

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
Well it looks as if my Palomar 35 amp power supply combo. Has keyed up for the last time. The 12 volt 35 amp power supply still works. When I key my 5 watt uniden the amp doesn't key. I checked the external fuse and it's fine. There are two other fuses located in the amp that I have not yet checked. I'm hopping that one of tthose blew but im not hopeful. When the amp quite I went ssoftly into the night. No smoke no piping sound no smells.

Well it looks as if my Palomar 35 amp power supply combo. Has keyed up for the last time. The 12 volt 35 amp power supply still works. When I key my 5 watt uniden the amp doesn't key. I checked the external fuse and it's fine. There are two other fuses located in the amp that I have not yet checked. I'm hopping that one of tthose blew but im not hopeful. When the amp quite I went ssoftly into the night. No smoke no piping sound no smells.

What is the model of the amp? If I know that I can look at the schematics and tell you where to look. Are you sure the radio is still working properly?

Palomar 500 35 amp. It's an amp that went under several name's such as boomer 500, shooting star 500 and one is markrd just as a 35 amp power supply. It is an amp that actually contains a 12 volt power supply that you can use to power up a mobile radio. I've been using mine to light up the Windows on my watt/swr/modulation meter. OTE="Tallman, post: 498796, member: 32129"]What is the model of the amp? If I know that I can look at the schematics and tell you where to look. Are you sure the radio is still working properly?[/QUOTE]
Pal

[QUOthat's the amp but as you can sèe there's no driving suggestions. If these types of amps come will any paper work at all when new, that's what it does come with, exactly whst you downloaded. Just a schematic no details at all. Output, driving, nothing. I guess the company knows there basically producing, an amp that's not gonna be used by a licensed ham operator, on the contrary the company's thst make these amplifiers know exactly who will be purchesing them. Tallman, post: 498804, member: 32129"]This must be the amp in question.
http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/palomar_other/elite/palomar_elite500.pdf

Still the first thing to check is the radio putting out when keyed.[/QUOTE]
Yes that

The power level switch adjust the drive to the amp. Unless I miss my guess the switch is Low/High/Medium, and if that is the case if you keep it in low or medium your 5 watt drive should not hurt a thing. Also there are two 200 ohm 1 watt resistors in parallel will knock it down a bit. But if you know how to do the adjustments in your radio shoot for a three watt dead key.

The power level switch adjust the drive to the amp. Unless I miss my guess the switch is Low/High/Medium, and if that is the case if you keep it in low or medium your 5 watt drive should not hurt a thing. Also there are two 200 ohm 1 watt resistors in parallel will knock it down a bit. But if you know how to do the adjustments in your radio shoot for a three watt dead key.
Tallman. First let me thank you for responding to my questions and I'm grateful. It does have high/med/low. Is what your saying is that switch actually chooses the ideal amount of wattage to be driven into the amp from your transceiver? I assumed that high, med, low switch controlled the output of the amp itself but even if that's the case and leaving the switch in the medium position will allow me to run the amp without having drop the wattage on my transceiver, would be excellent. By the way, I was running the amp on hight, all ways ! I own several other amps but I enjoy the fact that i dont have to tune/load it up as all my other amps not only need to be loaded up but need warm up time as there all tube amps. The transistorized Palomars in question just need to be turned on and are ready to go. Im glad I got two of them as it seems the one in question may need to be repaired, if possible. also the reson I don't want to turn down the wattage on the Madison is because of the mint unmodified condition it's in.

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. If you look at the schematic R22 and R23 are resistors going to ground. That makes up resistor divider network. If you switch to high those resistors are out of circuit and the only resistors are two 27 ohm resistors in parallel that attenuate the drive a small amount. But yes you you could run it in medium with no ill affects to either the radio or the amp.

Thank you
HI I have the pal 500 base amp and it is a low drive amp unless someone has ben messing inside it this amp in stock form is a 12 volt 35 amp supply and a 500 watt amp it like to see 3 to 5 watts of dead key and swing of 25 is ok but the amp will get hat also your SWR should be kept to 1.5 or 2 my 500 is set at 18 volts 35 amps and i put 4 watts in and see 100 watt dead key swinging to 625 my swr is 1.5 into a A99 hope this helps

HI I have the pal 500 base amp and it is a low drive amp unless someone has ben messing inside it this amp in stock form is a 12 volt 35 amp supply and a 500 watt amp it like to see 3 to 5 watts of dead key and swing of 25 is ok but the amp will get hat also your SWR should be kept to 1.5 or 2 my 500 is set at 18 volts 35 amps and i put 4 watts in and see 100 watt dead key swinging to 625 my swr is 1.5 into a A99 hope this helps

625?? What Final Transistors does your amplifier have? Most of this chassis amplifier had 4 X SD1446 Transistors which are rated at 70 Watts a piece which gave anywhere between 350-400 Watts output. I know they changed the Transistors in a few of those Amplifiers under different names Just curious as to which one you have and what its running inside. ;)

Last edited:
I have the "Boomer Deluxe 500" and has worked great for years. Mine has 4 mrf455's in it. The power supply has never been jacked up to 18v only runs at about 14.2. I have NEVER seen 500 out of it. Only 450 max. That was at a peak swing of about 30-35 watts going in....which was probably a little too much anyways. 1w dead key and swing up to 20 it talks good for what it is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.