• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier help

There isn much choice but learn to adapt to what's available.
My suggestion is to find a builder who has worked extensively with hg transistors and has good feeback on those units. Thats who i would ask if they could fit me in their schedule. Its not going to be easy as any builder worth a damn is backed up.

There isn much choice but learn to adapt to what's available.
My suggestion is to find a builder who has worked extensively with hg transistors and has good feeback on those units. Thats who i would ask if they could fit me in their schedule. Its not going to be easy as any builder worth a damn is backed up.

Yeah, I'm not even sure Carl is building them as I talked to a guy who says him and a couple of other people build and repair them from what I understood. He has tons of great reviews and has been around a long time. I am no tech and not sure what happened but I do know my setup isn't the problem. I do know I saw my swr go up on the radio to 1.5 while talking on AM with the amp on and when I checked the meter after the amp it was doing as per the video posted, swr was about the same as when tuned and amp wattage dropped drastically. I sent it in now and the guy seemed to understand. My issue is the warranty. His site says 30 days and the guy on the phone said 30 but said he would look for the message I got. I bought it in march and contacted him in june but he was closed due to pandemic but the warranty would be over at 30 days. However in a post on FB when I messaged Carl about the amp he said 90 days and that would make the warranty still in effect. We will see. Already pissed though because its a brand new amp, treated with care, and broke.

Thats one thing that sucks about all these cb garage amps being built. They are poor quality. 1.3 swr or lower or they blow up? Or just blow up by no fault of yours? Pshhh, common. Im waiting for the guy whos gonna be smart enough to put in a swr protection circuit to start. Helloooo, is it that difficult to do? I mean my god, every solid state hf amp has it. Are these guys not smart enough to do it? Is that why all the amps are copy's for the most part? I just dont understand it myself

Thats one thing that sucks about all these cb garage amps being built. They are poor quality. 1.3 swr or lower or they blow up? Or just blow up by no fault of yours? Pshhh, common. Im waiting for the guy whos gonna be smart enough to put in a swr protection circuit to start. Helloooo, is it that difficult to do? I mean my god, every solid state hf amp has it. Are these guys not smart enough to do it? Is that why all the amps are copy's for the most part? I just dont understand it myself
Yeah I should have went mosfet they have them, just wasn't any builders out there I would go to for one except RM Italy but I gave Carl a try because of all the good reviews and his honoring his work, as told by him in a few places. Like I said, we will see. It could have just been something loosened during shipping and shorted something out, who knows. I just like to think that because he does seem like good people.

Reactions: Slowmover
73EB64F2-9CBB-45BB-BD80-A85D3F9342A3.jpeg

500W PEP
10-30W Input
RM Italy KL-703

$369 at 88Radio

View attachment 39695

500W PEP
10-30W Input
RM Italy KL-703

$369 at 88Radio

Thats the one i was looking at. By the looks of it I should have tried that one. The only reason why I didn't choose that was because it was only available on NewEgg I believe and I kept checking Carl's on Facebook and he's building stuff and many people saying how great he is. that being said I really don't even know what's wrong with it and what happened yet and of course the outcome.

Thats the one i was looking at. By the looks of it I should have tried that one. The only reason why I didn't choose that was because it was only available on NewEgg I believe and I kept checking Carl's on Facebook and he's building stuff and many people saying how great he is. that being said I really don't even know what's wrong with it and what happened yet and of course the outcome.

Odds are a better option since in Italy they are using FET's instead of Chinese transistor that burn up if SWR is not near perfect on every channel.

Odds are a better option since in Italy they are using FET's instead of Chinese transistor that burn up if SWR is not near perfect on every channel.
I do agree, now. Even though I can't say how this happened and I can't say something would never have happened with the mosfet, but mosfets have been in amps for a while now and to me transistors are really out the door anymore but gave it one more shot because my Texas Star 500DX lasted 15 years between my friend and I. Maybe next tax check, time to try mosfets. LOL I did like the 703.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.