• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier power source

TimmyTheTorch

Dec 11, 2022
Northeast Wisconsin
I have a two month old Powermax PM4-120 amp PSU. I have a Carl Built 200HDC amp that can draw up to 46 or so amps. I also have several radios I use with it and each radio draws less than 15 amps. They are never used concurrently. Right now everything is connected to the PM4-120 via a distribution panel and 4 gauge wire connects this panel to the PSU.

I am having a strange problem on one of the two radios when the amp is at the high power setting (see the Carl Built thread) and I am wondering if even though I am only pulling 60 amps at most from the PSU, can having the amp and radio on the same PSU cause any strange RF interference or oscillations or any other type of interference? I'm wondering if I should just put the radios on their own smaller PSU and leave the amp as the only thing connected to the PM4.

I'm no authority on electronics but just my opinion if it were my set up I would have the Amp and radios on separate power supplies. I don't really know if having the radios and Amp on the same power supply is causing your issue, I just think it would be less stressful with two separate power supplies than having one power supply carrying the whole load.
I'm just looking at it from a motor hand perspective, when you're drilling with one generator online and the load limit is nearing 65 to 70 % you put a second generator online the load limit drops down and both generators run about 30 to 35% load limit, a lot less strain on both gens. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I run everything off my Astron 70m with no problems. As big as your power supply is you have no trouble running a 2 pill and radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.