• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AMPS SUPPLY LK 500ZD

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Ok Im looking for info on this amp that was offered to me its been all redone it has brandnew 3-500 tubes it covers 160 meters it has the Peter Dahl transformer along with the owners manual its a 2500 Watt amplifier the price it was offered to me for according to the others that were listening in is a steal so Im looking fo a little more info and will be discussing this with my wife tomorrow when she gets home from work.

Anyone have any ifo or experience with these amplifiers it also has the tubes replaced with a more sturdy model 500 Ill have to get the specifics again I heard the amplifier and it had better audio than the Alpha he was on to start out he has 2 Alphas and said he is in need of some cash and that is why hes selling this other amplifier and he said hes actually a fool for offereing it for the price he did but HE NEEDS MONEY NOW.

If I dont take it theres 3 other guys inline it was offered to me first but if I dont take it it will be gone. Its setup for 220 but he said he could set it up for 110 but its harder on the transformer ETC so Ide probably leave it 220 because I have 2 220 lines being installed in a few weeks I believe. My wife wants one for a dryer and I want one at my desk location which is right inline with where the dryer ones being ran so 2 seperate lines will be installedif this all works out I need a 220 line eitherway for my other tube hf amplifiers since they run smoother on 220..

I would think that it's probably at least close to what it's supposed to be. That Peter Dahl transformer, depending on which one it is can certainly make a difference in any amplifier's power supply. If it's an out-board transformer, I'd believe that 2500 watt output. If it isn't, well, it may get close if you squint your eyes real hard, sort of.
The 'LK' series were not bad amplifiers. They -were- pretty decent for their day. I'd have to say they are probably about 'average' compared to many of the present day amplifiers. So, I guess it just depends on the asking price and how much you'd like to have an amplifier with an 'old' name on it. If the asking price is less than something like a used AL-1200 (Ameritron), it's probably a very good deal.
All of this is just my opinion, which isn't all that good for anything. The really biggy, is how well was the modifications done, and which ones were done.
- 'Doc

(If you have the option, always run an amplifier on 220/240 Vac, just makes good sense/cents.)

Amplifiers don't effect audio if they are even close to linear. If that amp "sounds" better than an Alpha something isn't right.

That is a 2500 watt DC input amplifier and can do 1500 watts P.E.P. out.

Not a bad design.

125 volts isn't harder on the transformer. It's just harder on your house wiring.

Ok I guess this has seperate supply or transformer that is rated at 3100Volts at 1 Amp Tubes are brandnew just burnt in and are Graphite 3-500Z Ide be looking at $1,500 shipped. Would this be ok?? again they said this amplifier is capable of 2500 Watts PEP.I cant find any pics online of these particular amplifiers. Anyone have a pic or a link?

Last edited:
1500 shipped..... Hmmm, don't think I'd consider it a steal... Good Amp, but seems like about what its worth, maybe a bit more.... Personally, if it were me and I had 1500 to spend on an amp I'd be looking for more then a pair of 3-5s...

3 months ago, no cash, 1200 would have bought an Alpha 77, and I hear of a low hours 77SX out to the west of you a ways that might be obtainable for under 2k...

I might be way off but seems some shopping may be in order.....

Yeah I dont know what to do LMAO!!! My wife and I were talking today about getting this amplifier and she said go ahead if thats really what I want but HMMM??? Now here I sit thinking about it and UNSURE WHAT TO D:eek:!!. Kids are studying for there General now so a new amp would get alot of use but I still have 3 other HF amplifiers just not as big as the next one Im looking into adding to the bench.

AMP

Tony: There are 2/LK500's on QTH now...ones a b...another a C...the B is 800/C is 1200(overpriced)....a D sold on E-bay(always overpriced) yesterday for less than 1000($996)

The LK500 is a good amp/built well....but basically a BEEFED up SB220...
2500PEP?....DC output 1400-1700W depending on band with 100w drive on SSB
1700x1.414=2400PEP....Still it's a strong Legal limit amp that is about 15 to 20 years old.
They were built by the same people who made Dentron's.
Several of the people who own and operated Dentron when they went under started Amp Supply

The newer style ZG's take more drive than the Z type to get same power...ZG's take 125w+ to reach full output(nice/strong tubes if they are Amprex)but more costly even over Eimac's/when you find them.
Chinese(Taylors/Penta's) quality wise are a step down but do drive a little easier.
So my 2 cents!
All the Best
BJ

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.