• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

An Odd Cause For Static

Yankee

Apr 15, 2013
The radio is a Uniden 980ssb, no power amp, and just a meter in line. However, this happens with meter or not. So here is what happens. Whenever I turn off an incandescent light bulb in the room or in the bathroom, I hear about half a second of static. Radio is tuned to 38 lsb, and the light bulbs are in line of sight with the radio. It also happens when turned to AM. It's like turning the light off, collapses some sort of field and the radio reacts.

OK, just checked with the bathroom door closed it still does it, and further afield, I just tried the light in the laundry room, and it's separated by a wall and no line of site at all.

Now, here is the really crazy part. I use incandescent lights here, the CFL's irritate my eyes, but I do have a small, coiled, 10watt one in a gooseneck lamp for a small aquarium on my desk. And that is just the opposite. No static when I turn it off, but a half second of static when I turn it on.

I'm only asking this, cause it's been a cause for wonder for weeks, it's cold here, 36*, windy and raining ice. And I am bored. :)

Mwahahahahaha...

"In some cases, the RFI can be easily eliminated. In others, the only sure way to eliminate the interference is with the repeated application of small-arms fire."

I had a couple of Compact Florescent Bulbs that would emit static for several seconds when first turned on , easy to find when I started looking.
They are "instant on" , me being the person I am I wanted to know why.
These are the ones that have the glass globe over the twisted element, I broke the globe off the outer part of the bulb and found it is actually a hybrid halogen/cfl style with 2 bulbs in one.
There is a Halogen bulb that is centered inside the spiral, and a small PC board with what looks to be a timing circuit that has the halogen and the CFL both come on at first, as the fluorescent bulb comes on and starts to warm/brighten the halogen turns off.
As soon as the Halogen cuts off, the annoying buzz stops.
Into the trash can they went.
Oh, and a bit off topic, but......
I have started replacing my CFL`s with Halogen and in some areas a few LED`s
Yes the initial cost of LEDs are high, but in the long run I feel it is worth it, also if you are out here in CA, contact PG&E ( pacific greed and extortion company ) and ask for a retailer in your area that has LED`s that qualify for their energy smart program.
I have picked up PAR 30 Floods that retail for over $50 each for $19 this way.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Mwahahahahaha...

"In some cases, the RFI can be easily eliminated. In others, the only sure way to eliminate the interference is with the repeated application of small-arms fire."
(This is Humor)I have found the the application of one RPG is usually sufficient!(This is Humor)

I had a couple of Compact Florescent Bulbs that would emit static for several seconds when first turned, easy to find when I started looking.
They are "instant on" , me being the person I am I wanted to know why.
These are the ones that have the glass globe over the twisted element, I broke the globe off the outer part of the bulb and found it is actually a hybrid halogen/cfl style with 2 bulbs in one.
There is a Halogen bulb that is centered inside the spiral, and a small PC board with what looks to be a timing circuit that has the halogen and the CFL both come on at first, as the fluorescent bulb comes on and starts to warm/brighten the halogen turns off.
As soon as the Halogen cuts off, the annoying buzz stops.
Into the trash can they went.
Oh, and a bit off topic, but......
I have started replacing my CFL`s with Halogen and in some areas a few LED`s
Yes the initial cost of LEDs are high, but in the long run I feel it is worth it, also if you are out here in CA, contact PG&E ( pacific greed and extortion company ) and ask for a retailer in your area that has LED`s that qualify for their energy smart program.
I have picked up PAR 30 Floods that retail for over $50 each for $19 this way.

Jeff
I love LEDs! I even tried to make a LED light transmitter and receiver.
LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

Jeff, I have replaced my CFL over a year ago. They did seem to work to bring down the electric bill, but then I found out so did turning off lights that I did not need. The CFL's just fluoresce the tears in my eyes and irritate them after an hour or so. Once I got rid of them, that stopped. They also make an audible hum that your not aware of until they are gone. The same for those old CRT monitors.

I guess I will save for a RF hand held meter to track some of this stuff down. Not just for the CB, but it's probably not healthy.

Tallman, I would love to have a spetrum analyzer. :)

Interesting reading indeed. I'm even old enough to remember some of those old light bulbs still being used. LOL

I think it's time for a real change in the way we use electricity though. Small, really efficient LED bulbs are usually 3 volts, never get hot and burn forever. Why not use 115v house current and then at the working end, plug in devices that use low voltage DC? Radios, computers, lighting, even fan motors would be far more efficient and safer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.