• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Analysis on the Sirio Performer 5000 antenna

I finally got around to getting a pic of the Sirio antenna installed on my truck.

full.jpg

Gorgeous truck. (y)
Home away from Home. :D

Reactions: fourstringburn
Is that a “bird perch” mount on the Volvo?
Old thread you found but thanks for noticing.

No, just a pipe mount bracket made for Volvo truck sold at truckstops. The newer Volvos have a plastic wind deflection cover around the mirror brackets so you"ll have to remove that or go with a bird perch. The bird perch only works good for the driver side because on the passenger side, the wind loading on the antenna kept loosing the bird perch. I even used red locktite and still eventually loosened up.

OP, was this set-up okay for SSB (and maybe talking Skip)?
Was thinking I’d seen a comment elsewhere to that effect (thanks).

What radio/amp wattage ballpark?

Yes this setup worked well for skip. That's always been my primary interest. It still works fine for local and highway driving. Just a shame not much highway chatter anymore.

I was running my President HR2600 with no amp, about 25 watts PEP. Also you can see the larger Tarheel screwdriver antenna on the other mirror that I use with an Icom 7000 and a Ameritron ALS-500M amp.

Now I'm in a International truck LT with no mirror posts for antennas, there mounted behind the cab. Company doesn't want us making changes to the trucks anymore due to some drivers doing stupid things to them. So now I'm limited to what I can run.

I don't use my HR2600 mobile anymore mobile, radio is aging and I keep it at home and use it as a base. I now use a Uniden 880 radio with built in scanner, no amp and a 5 ft Wilson fiberglass antenna. Ther HF radio is still the Icom and I sneaked the amp in. Now using the Little Tarheel HP for the antenna.

Reactions: Slowmover
Awesome thread!! I just saw this.

Thanks to Fourstring for the analysis and SLO for bumping it!

I have the regular version of this antenna and I can attest it’s a skip/SSB monster!
Thanks!

This antenna worked great right up til the time lightning struck it while I was rolling down the highway.

The SS whip was disintegrated and the coax burned through. The truck sustain total electronic damaged costing over 35k to replace it all. It should have been totaled because it kept having electronic issues afterwards.

Nearly all my electronic devices got damaged internally in some way. Some were destroyed.

Putting the Performer on the PL-145 together for my sons SUV today. Looks like he’ll just clear 13’. (With a PRES McK AM/SSB + KL-203). I think that’s an ideal antenna height plus total clearance height combination. IOW, there’s no room for improvement re either height.

The Sirio is 1965-mm., or 73.5” plus low base.

Reactions: barefootindian
Put some electrical approved silicone on the screws where the PL attached to mag base. Also that gasket where the antenna attaches to the Mag is kinda Cheap so some silicone around that. Basically on any part where water “could” come in. Small bead.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.