• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

And the Darwin award goes to........

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
One of the local "silver spooners" wanted to key against me for $100 since he knew that I was only running a Wilson 5000 mag mount, 4 pill Worldwide with a 2 pill driver. He had a 2 pill Davemade driver into an X Force 800HD 8 pill......radio was a Magnum S-9.
He had a K40 mag mount on the roof of his Crew cab Dodge Ram and that couldn't make my decision to key for $100 any easier. He had his 8 pill amp/2 pill/radio hooked up stupid enough for me to say...make it $200.
The 800HD had 3 #8 wires for hooking up the 12v hot wire. He had #2 wire coming from the battery to 1 of the #8s. The other #8 (out of the amp :laugh: ) was hooked to the 2 pill driver and the last #8 wire out of the amp powered the radio. Darwin would have been proud.
Of course the ground wire was a #8 to the seat bolt. The radio and driver went to the seat bolt too. He said the ground doesn't need to be as big as the positive feed wire because the hot wire carries all the current. :
No meter in the truck but you know the coupling cap in the K40 base is toast!
I cut his radio completely off 3 times. I even destroyed his 8 pill with my driver 2 pill.
I never seen anything like it but I'll put the $200 to good use.

Family money sure doesn't buy brains, but it sure buys an expensive truck! :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

Did you tellum his setup looked outstanding and asked who did such crafty work hooking it up?? LMAO!! Unreal!! Ide have paid just to see the wiring ;)

Did you tellum his setup looked outstanding and asked who did such crafty work hooking it up?? LMAO!! Unreal!! Ide have paid just to see the wiring ;)

The guy was arrogant so I just said nothing. Even with the funky amp wiring it still should have had more output than mine.....not enough to make a difference.
Someone put an antenna analyzer on it today and the antenna was untuneable.....bad coupling capacitor.
I have done more than my share of stupid things in the learning process.
His S-9 radio is definately loud.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.