• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

annoying engine noise ssb only

123kid

Mar 6, 2012
I get annoying popping that rises as i accelerate only on ssb.Radio wired direct to battr.Radio is a at5555 antenna a mag mount p5000.will a inline filter cure this like the rf limited one?

I doubt it. Something like a 'NB', Noise Blanker could help though. In most cases the noise you are hearing is a radiated and not coming through the power line to the radio (although, it's possible for it to 'get in' that way too). Some cars are worse than others. Those noise blankers are typically built into the radio, not an 'add on'.
- 'Doc

I had a similar problem with my Tacoma. I ended up grounding everything I could; battery to frame again, ignition, fuel rail/injectors, alternator, and multiple chassis grounds. I went down to autozone to swap out the spark plug wires, under warranty, and when I wiggled the first one loose in the parking lot, it was hot. So I plugged it back in and was gonna change them at the house. On the ride home I didn't have any more engine noise. I swapped them anyway and made sure that they were properly seated and not causing any more noise. FWIW.

Reactions: 1 person
I went thru moved some wires got it down some.with the antenna disconnected the noise is there but its louder when antenna is plugged in.i taped all wires together made sure run was clean and eliminated it a bit.its when the band is quiet late night it gets annoying probably because tge radios recieve is so damn hot

Study this website. K0BG.COM bonding was a key to noise reduction on my mobile installation. Good luck

Is the antenna coax ran parallel to or taped together with the power wires? If so try to separate them as much as possible. I was experiencing that in my Ram and separating the coax as far away as possible from the power wires cut down on it a lot.

it really sounds like a spark thingy,

open the hood of the vehicle later in the evening where it is dark enough that you can see if the spark is jumping around some where on your plug wires

look carefully around the spark plugs and around the distributer and hei coil,

the engine has to be running so be VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET INTO THE FAN

JMO, eliminate this and move on to other possibilities, best of luck

by the way if the spark is leaking somewhere it is a really neat show, but do not touch the wire either until you shut engine down.

Resistor sparkplugs are designed to not come over the radio. When plugs age during use,the resistor part wears out thus popping noise that can be heard over the radio. That why there is a 'R' designation on resistor plugs

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Resistor sparkplugs are designed to not come over the radio. When plugs age during use,the resistor part wears out thus popping noise that can be heard over the radio. That why there is a 'R' designation on resistor plugs

although the resistors can wear out it is generally the electrode that wears out first, when that happens the gap gets too wide leading to misfires and or erratic idle.

the spark can also escape outside the boot.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.