• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another 257HP sob story (no SSB)

uncleben03

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Let me start off by saying I think I've read every thread on the 257 HP on this forum possible, LOL.

Anyway, I bought a Magnum 257HP around June 2011, and it worked great for awhile. In January I switched antennas so I hooked the radio up to my SWR/power meter to see what was up. SWR's on the new 102" whip were ok, about 1.7 flat. But what I found odd was that my meter was only showing about 10 watts PEP on sideband. Fast forward to last week, and sideband is completely dead now.

My AM/FM still works (well, I know AM works, was talking on it today, FM not sure but it does receive). When I turn the radio to USB or LSB, the audio coming out of the speaker goes completely dead (except for the notorious alternator whine), and when I try to transmit, the "TX" indicator shows up on the display but the S meter doesn't move at all. My mic gain is adjusted, the microphone works fine, but the radio will not show any modulation or power on sideband.

Did I join the club of forgotten 257HP owners? What do I need to do to get this thing repaired. My dumb ass didn't keep any of the paperwork I got when I bought the radio. I really need to keep this radio because of it's small size.

Did you buy it 'new' or 'used?
If new; then send it in to a Magnum warranty repair shop after getting a RO # from Sam Lewis @ RF Limited. If used; then you might have gotten someone's golden screwdriver job radio . . .

With ssb ( i assume you know this) the radio will not show any power output till you talk into the mic,make sure the mic gain is as it should be on radio and if you are running a power mic make sure battery is good....make sure swr meter is set properly

But with what I have been seeing on those radios I wouldnt be surprised if something went bad on the inside..There are folks that know alot more on those rigs than I do,maybe someone that has had that same trouble will reply

It was new.

When I call RF Limited am I going to need a proof of purchase so they know it's within warranty range? I don't have my receipt anymore unfortunately. Threw all the stuff away, thinking "hell this thing will last forever!". :censored:

With ssb ( i assume you know this) the radio will not show any power output till you talk into the mic,make sure the mic gain is as it should be on radio and if you are running a power mic make sure battery is good....make sure swr meter is set properly

It's the factory mic, and i was putting a constant audio source into the mic when checking power. Mic gain was all the way up at one point, usually on SSB though I would run it rather low. But I couldn't get ANYTHING no matter where the mic gain was since the problem started. Thanks

It was new.

When I call RF Limited am I going to need a proof of purchase so they know it's within warranty range? I don't have my receipt anymore unfortunately. Threw all the stuff away, thinking "hell this thing will last forever!". :censored:

Do you have credit card receipts? paypal,cancelled check?

one thing when using it on am and wanting a lowcarrier. make sure
you turn rf power all way back up when on ssb.im sure you done this but i know
my magnum if rf power is all way down on ssb it does less than 1watt. which
doesnt move my radio meter

Thanks all. I found my order on Walcott (yeah yeah, I know) online which shows when I purchased it, just in case. I was hoping not to have to send the radio in, since I have it mounted in a steel overhead locking console in my Jeep Wrangler, it's a pain in the butt to remove. I have to take the whole drawer out of the console to remove the radio. I suppose it'll make up for it if it comes back working. Thanks again.

On a related side note, i wish I could have found another lower-cost alternative to use for 10m/11m... I specifically picked up the 257HP because it was small enough to fit in the console, not many radios are, and most that are have side mount mic's which make them too wide.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1