• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Ameritron Question

RF-68

May 31, 2005
Upstate New York
I've browsed the other threads on these amps and are now more confused than before !!!!!!!! :shock:
What I will be running is an FT-901DM with an Antron 99 for the antenna...Where I will be running is mostly around 27.385 LSB and a few channels up from there, maybe some AM, but not very much if at all...Which Ameritron would you guy's think would work best for me ??? I'm not looking for massive power, maybe just a few hundred watts or even as much as 1K, but no more than that... 8)

Hmmm. Don't suppose you've checked the interference level you get barefoot, have you?

That antenna is famous for "lighting up" nearby electronic gadgets, like TV, stereo, phones, baby monitors, wireless doorbells, "touch" lamps and such when it is mounted too close to the ground.

Getting an Antron 40 to 60 feet up tends to reduce this a lot. Mounting one at roof level almost guarantees this kind of trouble.

The good news is that all the Ameritron amplifiers are meant to match this radio's drive level. So long as you don't plan to use AM, the 811A amplifiers will survive okay. They are the least durable of all the Ameritron tube amplifiers. Surprise, they are the least expensive. That requirement of a high drive level is written into the regs for approving a ham linear for legal sale.

If you find that you have an interference problem barefoot, now would be a good time to fix that before putting an amplifier in line. Making sure that the coax shield braid is soldered to the connectors on your antenna coax would be wise before putting a linear in line. Many folks use factory-assembled "crimp" coax connectors. Others just fold the braid over and crank the PL-259 together. You can get away with this barefoot for a while, before those fine strands of copper begin to tarnish. Once they do, the ground side of the antenna circuit will come 'unplugged', and cause all manner of grief. The heat that is released in an unsoldered ground connection with a linear in line just speeds up the oxidation process. Barefoot, you might get away with it for a year. Boost the power level times 8 or 10, and the PL-259 gets hot, and speeds up the oxidation.

How much would a good low pass filter reduce the chances of interference, I'm in a residential area.... :? If so what would be a good brand to go with.......So far I've only used the FT-901DM with my 102" whip, I set the radio on the toolbox of the pickup truck and ran an extension cord out for power....This mudduck setup has not interfered on AM or SSB yet, key word being yet........ :shock:

Low Pass Filter

Try a Drake, or I have a para-Dynamics. If your interested PM me.CDX126

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.