• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another "Any Info On This Amp?" Thread

Taxi Driver

Mar 2, 2014
Oregon Monsoon Central
Here's the amp
1r89xg.jpg

I used in the late '90s. Most people I talked to on 11 Meter said it sounded great.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about it.
I'm interested in the actual power output and data like that.
A quick search showed that these type of amps weren't well thought of in spite of my positive experience with it.

I'm going to put the radio in the car and see if it still works as good as it did back in the day.
No plans to fire up the amp right now.

Yea pretty much your cheap mass produced 2 pill amplifier with the Palomar name stamped on the front so it sells. Probably has 1446 finals, might also have 3749's, 455's, or 454's. It's a low drive amp, less then 2 watt dead key input and keep the peak input under 20 watts. You should see 130-180 honest watts from it depending on how mush peak swing you put into it.

I am currently running a version of this amp with 455's. I get about 120 AM and maybe 150 SSB. Good little amp for a cheap boost in signal.

As has been said, it is a knock off CB style palomar , there were many versions of this amp built.
Galaxy 225, Palomar 225, cobra 225, shooting star 223.
All used 2 output transistors of different flavors depending on when/where it was built.
The better ones are "really" AB bias and have a bit of filtering built in.
They all say AB bias, but many did not have any.
Here is one of the common ones.
Remember that the model number is often NOT he power out put, just a number they throw on the outside.
Keep input low, and provide some cooling for it (fan) and it will probably be fine.

Jeff

Attachments

• -150551106383158920.jpg
    -150551106383158920.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 126
  • palomar225inside.jpg
    palomar225inside.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 9
I should add that while not the best amp it will work fine for you if you do two things. One, don't pay too much for it. Used it's a 75 dollar amp max and new 100-125. Second, don't over drive it.

(y) Looks good to me, @ least it hasn't been hacked on. If you decide not to use it, send me a PM.

I may end up using it soon. I bought a proper Sirio antenna and mount from DNJ. Should be here in the next week or two.

I picked up a fare the other day who happens to have an expert license.
He's determined to help me get the Tech license

60 watt transistors, MRF455.

What is the significance of MRF-455 transistors?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated