• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another "dumb question"....

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Near me.... have found a Uniden PC68 on Facebook Marketplace. Literally $4.

Do I have to have it??? No.
Can I assume it to be broken? Probably.
It IS however... not a business... just a home owner... selling it.

It could be tempting.

Here is my issue and question.....

When I look up Uniden radios... SAMS has a splat ('*') next to the whole line.... and that * means that those radios were never put IN to SAMS CB Photofacts.

So I went to CB Tricks. Cb Tricks has nothing on the PC68.

Where would one try next????

Haven't bought it yet.... want to be sure I can get info on it first.

Bob

Near me.... have found a Uniden PC68 on Facebook Marketplace. Literally $4.

Do I have to have it??? No.
Can I assume it to be broken? Probably.
It IS however... not a business... just a home owner... selling it.

It could be tempting.

Here is my issue and question.....

When I look up Uniden radios... SAMS has a splat ('*') next to the whole line.... and that * means that those radios were never put IN to SAMS CB Photofacts.

So I went to CB Tricks. Cb Tricks has nothing on the PC68.

Where would one try next????

Haven't bought it yet.... want to be sure I can get info on it first.

Bob

For $4? Buy it, take a pic of the PCB number and ask what other radio uses that.

I think the PC68 is similar to the Cobra 25, and there's info on that available. If I'm wrong, not like it would be the first time.

Yeah I do believe they are much like the Cobra 25 LTD and that schematic should do the job, though been a long time since messing with any. The PC66 I also believe may be the correct schematic.

At $4 you really can’t go wrong, working or not. If not stated it’s a 50/50 chance of it working. I’d assume it was hooked up backwards at some point and associated parts may need replaced. On the other hand it might just be something that hasn’t been used for years and just getting rid of stuff.

Of course that’s assuming it’s actually $4 and not $40. Seems so many people try to draw buyers in with a low list price, but often not actually what they are wanting for the item. Like the ones that list everything for a dollar.

Reactions: midnight special
Just got back from picking this one up.

It not only came with a microphone... but also the power cord and the bracket(which was unused and still in its little slip on plastic bag!)

All of it was tucked neatly in the little paper mache tray that it came in originally. No box....... but for $4 .... I want going to let that be a deal breaker....

But yeah it is indeed a Uniden PC68XL...
Cosmetics..... I would give it maybe a 7 out of 10. Bezel dirty..... but not scratched up or gouged. Paint reasonable.....
It dies not look like it has spent any time at all being dragged down the road by its mic cable.

I know most tell you not to power them up until you go through them.... but I may hook it up in a but too see if it works at all.

[Edited to add]
It does work. All of it.
Receives, transmits.
Shows a hair less than 4 watts out.

While I have not had it on the bench yet to look at things on scope/spectrum analyzer..... when I modulate.... the mod meter REALLY looks like the limiter is working as it should. It LOOKS limited.

$4

Can't beat it with a stick. Looking further into the paper mache tray..... the foamy bag for the mic is in there, the little bag with the mic clip, screws and all is in there...never opened. It is like literally the only things I don't have are the box and the booklet.

Inside.... looks like no one has touched it. There appears to be no solder work past the factory.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.