• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Emperor low TX problem

codecxbox

Jul 28, 2021
I finally got a genuine 2sc1266 driver for the Emperor..replaced the 330ohm and the 47ohm that is parrelel with the driver choke..
the 477 is not soldered on yet..
I removed the bias bridge, adjusted the driver bias pot to 50mA, and it stays steady..put back the bridge.
At SSB mode no modulation, base is 0.75v, collector is 11.75v, emitter is 0 v..
But at AM and FM mode, the collector overloads to, check this Im not joking..it reads almost 850v!
My MM screams OVERLOAD, then shows that..
How is that possible? I did the same measurement on a working 2510 and AM/FM is 12v TX..

RF harmonics are blowing the meter's digital mind. Measuring DC voltage that has RF riding piggyback on it might work better with a RF choke perched on the tip of the probe.

Might not. That RF is squirrelly stuff, hard to keep it out of an unshielded device.

thks Nomad..will let you know..

Emperor revisit.
I finally soldered the 477..Bias current is at 0.050 on driver 1266 and final..Base to emitter are at 0.65 on both while TX..but NO watts...Current draw is at 1.90 TX Am and FM and modulated SSB..but no output. nada..heatsink never gets warm...inductors and pots are all at spec..what should I be looking at? is it possible the 477 has no gain? can a I replace it with a E C B RF? ( of course, switching the B E C order)..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.