• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another New guy with a question

rdsii64

Dec 13, 2009
Hello folks. Now that my pickup truck is paid for I can afford to put gadgets in it. I am interested in putting a two way radio in it amount other things. I have been looking at everything from CB radios to those that require a license to operate. As I continue to search for what I will actually spend money on I have a question with regard to what is legal and what isn't.

If I am correct, CB radios operate on a seperate part of the radio frequency spectrum than radios that require a licence. Assuming I am correct, is a radio that can operate on both parts of the radio frequency spectrum legal in the US.

forgive me If this is has been already been covered here. Being behind a company firewall I have limited functionality with the search function.
(yes I can surf the net on company time, LOL. I monitor alarms for a living so I have a lot of down time)

Well; that question covers a lot of ground.
CB's ('11 meter radios') are legal to operate by anyone. But 10 meter export radios are meant for Ham operators. CBers have adopted the use of export radios too. So long as they are used in a way that doesn't interfere with any Ham operators; you may be OK. If a complaint is made with the FCC while you have been operating on the 10 meter band by a Ham operator, fines can be leveled at you. Generally speaking, to use a 10 meter radio that has been converted to do CB frequencies in a vehicle is not uncommon.

If you are interested in getting the first level Ham license - which is the 'Tech' level - you can legally operate on 10 meters as well as 2 meter radios. I wouldn't attempt to use a 2 meter radio without a license; as many Hams often monitor and talk on those frequencies. Not so true for 10 meters - but I wouldn't attempt it without a license!

I hope this answered your questions.
If not; reply and ask away...

If I understand your post, a radio that operates on both parts of the spectrum is not legal in the US. also that said radio has to be modified to do so. So after I figure out what I acutally want to purchase if I don't purchase a modified radio I should be ok.
I'm I in the ball park yet?

You are in the ball park. There are several 'kinds' of radios, not just amateur (ham radio) and CB radio. There are 'MURS', 'FRS' and I'm not sure how many others. MURS and FRS are VHF, meaning shorter ranges than others. CB is HF and have longer -possible- ranges, but then theres a legal limt that you are supposed to follow with that (most people seldom do). Range or distance isn't everything, but for some it's -the- thing, so some radios are modified to produce more power, or an amplifier is used. No, it's not legal, but neither is speeding. If you aren't really 'stupid' with it, you'll probably never get caught. That's up to you. CB radio is a one band thing. There are frequencies above and below that band that are typically called "free band". They are not 'free', and it's your neck if you get caught.
Then there's ham radio or amateur radio. It requires a license to use those bands, and there are quite a few bands ranging from jsut above AM broadcast to microwave regions or satellites. A license is not difficult to get, requires some study and less than $20 for a ten year period (not sure exactly what the cost is, but less than $20). The equipment because it will cover so much more frequency ranges, is more expensive if new. Used stuff isn't so expensive. Used ham gear is close to the cost of higher 'class' CB gear. But then, it will typically do about 10 times as much, sort of evens out.
Enough commercials. Take a look around before picking any sort of radio. Something may just grab your attention and you can't live without it!
Have fun.
- 'Doc

And like everything else, if it seems to be too good to be true... it probably is.

Reactions: ke7vvt
If I understand your post, a radio that operates on both parts of the spectrum is not legal in the US. also that said radio has to be modified to do so. So after I figure out what I acutally want to purchase if I don't purchase a modified radio I should be ok.
I'm I in the ball park yet?

You know more than newbie does!
Well put...

Put a regular CB in it for chit-chat with folks while traveling down the road...especially if you travel along major highways frequently. Most truckers are more than happy to relay road conditions and it generally beats any type of radar detector for alerting to hiding cops who would like nothing better than to give you their autograph.

After you get that installed, study for the basic ham license, called the Technician's Class. That will open you up to all types of activities and possibilities that can be both useful and fun! When you're about ready to take your test (which is pretty easy) start to look at various equipment to use on your new license. There is probably a ham radio club in your area...people are more than happy to help a new guy get his equipment together, installed, and on the air.

Make sure and let us know what you decide to do :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.