• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another new Icom HF tranceiver

fourstringburn

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM
Feb 11, 2007
NEW MEXICO
I just came across an ad for a new Icom IC-7851 HF transceiver.

4557.jpg

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7851/default.aspx

Initial comparisons seem to be similar to the limited edition of the IC-7850 model with out the gold enhancements. Either radio is way out of my price range until I hit that mega-millions jackpot. The IC-7850 sells for $16,000, I would expect to see this radio sell for maybe a couple of hundred dollars less.

I have yet to come across anyone with the IC-7850 to get their assessment of this radio and to hear the audio quality from the transmitter.

I'm really curious to hear reports on how good that narrow 1.2 kHz roofing filter works on knocking out the nearby QRM and how the received audio sounds with that filter engaged.

Maybe that type of roofing filter will be the next standard on all mid to high price radios in the future, or at least an upgradeable option.

Anyone come across either one of these radio on the airwaves yet?

Nice rig but us garden variety hams are boned again by the price. Who are they building these radios for? All I can think of is that here must be a commercial market for these high end Icoms.

I agree, because I would prefer to have the Kenwood TS990 but even that is too far out of my price range. I haven't come across much of these on the airwaves yet. A lot of reasonably affordable Yaesu FT DX 3000 and 1200 radios is what I been hearing lately.

I believe manufactures know that a lot of hams are well off and can afford these mid to high price toys so these prices are really getting out of hand especially with this new Icom model which will probably be $15,000 making it the one of the most expensive radio in the market.

That leaves the rest of us with the $600 to $1500 price range or we can wait for the radios to come up on the used market and take your chances the previous owner didn't use the golden screwdriver on it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.