• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another newb question

undecidedcallsign

Nov 3, 2013
Does a non hooked up antenna effect a hooked up one? I haven't removed the 10 meter antenna that's on 47mhz and wanted to know if that will impact my cb antenna? Secondly when I key up the my radio goes all statically. Anyway to prevent that?

yes, antennas in the near field will have an effect on the radiation pattern of your antenna.

if you google "beam antennna", and find a tutorial that explains how they work, you will come across a term called "parasitic element", and, in its simplest form, thats what the "other" antenna is. sort of...

suffice to say that you should keep them as far apart as you can, but many people run more than one antenna on their vehicle, so its not a make or break type situation.

do some reading on this subject and you will understand how much or how little you should be concerned about their interaction.

on the second question, its probably dirt and other build up in the switch that is inside the mic.
get some contact cleaner, open up the mic, and spray some into the switch.
sometimes it helps to hold the switch in the TX position when spraying.
then push the button back and forth a bunch of times to get the cleaner all over the parts of the switch that need it.

you can also do this to the pots on the front of your radio.
you'll need to get at the backside of them, and spray inside the pot itself.
then turn the knobs back and forth a bunch.
if the mic switch is not the cause, it could be the mic gain pot on the radio.

there are other possibilities, like a cap going bad, but these two are the first places to try.
LC

Are you saying that when you key up your new radio that the new radio goes all statically or does another radio go statically?
- 'Doc

Does a non hooked up antenna effect a hooked up one? I haven't removed the 10 meter antenna that's on 47mhz and wanted to know if that will impact my cb antenna? Secondly when I key up the my radio goes all statically. Anyway to prevent that?

Yes it does. Anything within a few wavelengths of an antenna will affect it. Depending on how close it is and the length and if its the same polarisation, it'll affect tuning and directivity.

If you think about a beam its effectively two, three or four or whatever isolated antennas placed at specific distances with only one of them hooked up to the transmitter.

Secondly when I key up the my radio goes all statically. Anyway to prevent that?

Could be common mode aka RF coming back from the antenna on the coax. Only way to be sure is disconnect the antenna and transmit into a dummy load. If the problem goes away you need to look at the grounding of your antenna installation. Do you have a RF choke installed at the antenna?

In summary I attached a 47 megahertz antenna in MLB 4700 believing it was an MLB 2700. Once it didn't work I discontinue trying to use it. I just haven't gotten around to be installing it before putting my other antenna back on

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.