• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another simple, inexpensive base/portable CB antenna

I like this thread, some great idea's. Just before covid hit my base coax got chewed on. I wanted to talk local for several work nights off out in my pole barn. I took a broken 2x2 garage fridge I had and set it outside and slapped a wilson 5k mag mount on it. SWR was 1.6 and it talked better then I expected.

As shown in the photo in Post #12, the lone radial was attached to a tent spike and pulled snug, keeping the wire just above the ground. Just for the heck of it, I unhooked it from the spike, removed the homemade insulator and just tossed the wire loosely and directly on the ground. Result?
SWR‘s on 1 and 40 went from 1.13 to 1.16 and on 20 from 1.00 to 1.02. Insignificant. The wire now lies loose and the trip hazard is gone. :giggle:

Talked to a couple of locals last night. I've been off the air for a while and they thought I'd put my Antron or Gainmaster 1/2 wave back up. :ROFLMAO: We all talked to 525 in Maryland who said we sounded like we were in his driveway. When I told him what I was using for an antenna, he didn't believe me. :LOL:

I don't know why these little, low antennas word so well for me. Location, type of soil (Texas clay), surroundings? I don't know. I wish someone else would put one up and report his results. With my radial lying loose on the ground now, the antenna closely resembles a Wolf River Coils TIA (Take It Along) except they use three radials lying on the ground rather than just one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.