• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another simple, inexpensive base/portable CB antenna

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Took down my Gainmaster 1/2 Wave. Worked great but stuck out like a sore thumb in a neighborhood of no antennas. Nope, no HOA here, was done by choice. Anyway, am back to an old favorite. Using a 4’ Firestik this time rather than 102” whip. Single wire radial is the same as before—104”. With the Firestik’s tunable tip was able to get SWR on channel 20 down to 1.03. On 1 and 40 it’s 1.2.

Despite having just a single radial, this thing is pretty much omni-directional. (Probably because of its close proximity to the ground.)
Not going to get into a discussion of whether this is a ground plane with a single radial or a bent dipole. It doesn’t matter. It works great.

Can’t have or don’t want a tall antenna?
Don’t have the money for large one?
Just like fooling around with homemade antennas?
Whatever the reason, this (or something similar) might be the answer.

I know all of this is a boring, old hat for most. But for newbies, might prove helpful.

In the second pic, coax shield goes to wire radial. Center conductor goes to the Firestik which is isolated from mounting bracket using nylon/plastic washers. (Can’t see them for the coax seal.)

IMG_1421.jpeg IMG_1420.jpeg

Took down my Gainmaster 1/2 Wave. Worked great but stuck out like a sore thumb in a neighborhood of no antennas. Nope, no HOA here, was done by choice. Anyway, am back to an old favorite. Using a 4’ Firestik this time rather than 102” whip. Single wire radial is the same as before—104”. With the Firestik’s tunable tip was able to get SWR on channel 20 down to 1.03. On 1 and 40 it’s 1.2.

Despite having just a single radial, this thing is pretty much omni-directional. (Probably because of its close proximity to the ground.)
Not going to get into a discussion of whether this is a ground plane with a single radial or a bent dipole. It doesn’t matter. It works great.

Can’t have or don’t want a tall antenna?
Don’t have the money for large one?
Just like fooling around with homemade antennas?
Whatever the reason, this (or something similar) might be the answer.

I know all of this is a boring, old hat for most. But for newbies, might prove helpful.

In the second pic, coax shield goes to wire radial. Center conductor goes to the Firestik which is isolated from mounting bracket using nylon/plastic washers. (Can’t see them for the coax seal.)

View attachment 63893 View attachment 63894
Jim, your setup hit me at the perfect time. I've yet to get on the air and using your idea might just get me on air for the time being. Thank you sir!

I've got a bunch of mobile antennas in different flavors I could do this with. I'm thinking a 6 foot skipshooter can finally go to use doing something similar.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Jim, your setup hit me at the perfect time. I've yet to get on the air and using your idea might just get me on air for the time being. Thank you sir!

I've got a bunch of mobile antennas in different flavors I could do this with. I'm thinking a 6 foot skipshooter can finally go to use doing something similar.
Ed, that Skipshooter should be a humdinger. (y):giggle:
A mount with an SO 239 and a PL 259 on the coax is the easiest way to go. However, I had just shortened my coax from 75’ to 50’ and was too lazy to replace the connector, so I went without one. :p

Last edited:
I have to laugh because I always do a temporary antenna with a Magnet mount antenna on top of a sheet of steel. Just the other day I took my GE Super Base out to the garage and put my K-40 antenna on a plate of steel and got the SWR down to 1.2 - 1.3 even talked to my buddy while he was in my car on my McKinley. I did that to prove to him he didn't have to touch the Clarifier on the McKinley before I went in the house and talked to him on my Lincoln II+. He is fascinate with playing with the clarifier and I didn't want that while testing the Lincoln II+ because I didn't want him putting another variable into the testing equation. The bottom line is antennas can be fun to experiment with !

Just put this variation up for 11 meters.
4’ Firestick 6“ above ground level. One 103” wire radial slightly above ground level. SWR after adjusting screw on top of Firestick:

1.13 on Ch 1
1.13 on Ch 40
1.0 on Ch 20

Works great. This is the base station antenna I am now using.

Firestick.jpgRadial.jpg

Last edited:
Just put this variation up for 11 meters.
4’ Firestick 6“ above ground level. One 103” wire radial slightly above ground level. SWR after adjusting screw on top of Firestick:

1.13 on Ch 1
1.13 on Ch 40
1.0 on Ch 20

Works great. This is the base station antenna I am now using.

View attachment 65504View attachment 65503
What exactly is the three legged contraption you're using there to hold both antennas? That's a simple but good on the fly antenna right there!

What exactly is the three legged contraption you're using there to hold both antennas? That's a simple but good on the fly antenna right there!
The Firestick is on a Super Antenna TM1 tripod I got off a guy. The other is on a Wolf River Coils tripod I used to have. They are real similar. Wolf River makes two. One this size and a larger one. Wolf River is a lot cheaper. :giggle:

Reactions: Brother DXer
A metal tent spike on each leg keeps it rock steady. :giggle:
One would think it would be fairly directional with the single radial but it’s really pretty much omni-directional. Likely because of its close proximity with the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brother DXer

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.