• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna for 2005 Columbia

Dwall174

Nov 10, 2006
I'm looking for ideas on installing a new antenna on a 2005 Freightliner Colombia, Being it was a truck related question I originally posted in the CDX Truck Stop
Being this forum is on antennas I figured I would also post it here!
Being that I’m not sure on how the factory antennas are wired I was just going to use a Wilson 5000 Trucker that I already have, However I would have to replace the standard 10" shaft with a 5" one "smallest shaft Wilson offers for the T5000" Also to keep the height below 14' I would need to mount it on the back of the cab about 3" below the top of the roof, So the coil would end-up being only a couple of inches above the top of the roof?
I had also thought about going with a Wilson 5000 mag mount, However with the top of my roof at 112" & the Mag mount with a 62" whip I would still be over 14' over all.

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dwall174,

Can you "hard mount" it??

Two of our "Petercar" 379 tractors have Wilson 2000's directly mounted to the cab roof (the drivers got tired of tree limbs ;) :) )......And if anything they gained in both rx/dx.....We tried mounting on headache racks but "strobe" light make too much noise :shock: ;) ;) while on to hear anything...

Snoope back quiet

snoope said:
Can you "hard mount" it??
Yea I can!
It’s a day cab so I could mount it to the metal bracket that holds a small fiberglass air deflector! The only problem I see is that, Even if I get the smallest shaft they make for the T5000 which is 5" the over all height would be about 14.5' I do a lot of city driving & regularly go under a 13.8' bridge.

There’s another bracket on the back of the cab that’s also used for the air deflector which would allow me to drop it down about 6" However that would place the coil around the same height as the roof & it would also be behind the air deflector.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.