• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna God's needed 102" issues..

Captain Kilowatt is correct. The location of the antenna is the worst possible. Mount it on the left-hand mirror, or use the antenna mount kit available from Volvo. Never mount the antenna on the right-hand mirror, unless you're willing to replace it often. BTW, how tall is your antenna?? I wouldn't use over a 5 footer, as taller ones will scrape on a lot of overpasses.

You don't have flat swr when you touch the antenna and you probably wouldn't be heard 100 feet away. Your basically grounding out the antenna and the meter is reading nothing... CK is right on the money with his eval of your install. You did a lot of work on it but it's not a good situation the antenna.

A loaded mirror mount antenna like Robb suggested is the best way to go on a semi. Now, drill a hole and mount that antenna in the center of a 53' dry van and stay away from underpasses and you're working the world :)

I see the problem. It's yor pogo stick it is not a ground, the center post is insulated. Bolt a bird perch to the bottom of the headache rack or the side or the chain box & slide a tennis ball on the antenna so it don't bang against it.

I'd go with the headache rack. :) And that's because you can use the antenna you already have. Otherwise, try what Robb is suggesting.

Brett

Like this

Attachments

• 1653457_646775438718399_1206899906_n.jpg
    1653457_646775438718399_1206899906_n.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 258
So lets get back to this i was talking skip few days ago with the antenna mounted on the pogo only thing i had to do was run a strap toward the headache rack to bring my swr ... that tells me i have no ground what so ever back there..

Just because it worked ('. . . talked skip') does not mean that it is working optimally. Considering that mounting an antenna on a truck doesn't offer the ideal means to make it work optimally to begin with, then it is best to find the spot that can be the best that the situation can allow.

It worked on your front bumper because it had little to impeded the horizonatal wave propagation as the bumper offerd a suitable ground plane. But this also skewed the polar pattern it generates too . . .

Consider that having the antenna above all of the truck's metal is optimal because it has nothing to interfere with the horizontal wave being propagated. Then you will understand why the antenna woked decent on the bumper but poorly on the bed between the cab and the trailer. Above all the metal is still the best scenario.

Most truckers on the road that I've seen use mirrior mounts or the headache rack. Because it is above the metal mass.

No antenna gods here BTW; but a lot of guys that try to understand what has already set in motion by God - IMO . . .

Reactions: 2RT307
Ok i get your point...i just wish u dealt with semi trucks to understand where i m coming from....a lot of money spent and still dealing with antenna issues..plus i dont do channel 19 with tilted monkey mades for looks ...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.