• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Guru's and older members heres an antenna manufacture question

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I remember years ago seeing a few distributors I went through carry these for very short times and dumped them. I was told High winds snow and Ice caused havoc with these. I was curious as I was listening to a few guys trying to con another guy "Their good buddy" into buying one and after thinking about it remembered I had a folder of product literature here that a distributor sent in the mid 1990s and remembered they disappeared as fast as they came into the scene.

I looked the sight up and its still their and then seen and remembered that ridiculous "Golden Rod" mobile antenna that looked like a signal tracker that is still sold LMAO!! I was reading the reviews and just laughed If you haven't seen one just wait!! These guys were trying to get another fella in the group to buy one of those Golden Rods because the website said its the best mobile antenna out there ;) LOL!!

We live in Wisconsin lots of Ice Wind and Snow so a Cubic Quad style antenna 'Not a good idea" as in most cases you will have Spaghetti hanging off that tower in no time I wouldn't dare try helping or say anything as I listened because they think all amateur radio operators are stupid and know nothing. Anyways anyone on the forum have any experience with these Lightning Antenna's?

Do you have a link to the website? I read your posting and really have no idea what it is about. Antennas are subject to widely varying opinions because what works for you may not work at all for my applications.

Reactions: binrat
Here is a link to the new Website: http://www.lightningantennas.com/

I have studied the design and have a buddy about 70 miles from me that has a Lightning 8.

We have talked many times with us both only using 1 watt.

See below on a 70' foot tower.

Attachments

• Harey's L8 #03.JPG
    Harey's L8 #03.JPG
    831.9 KB · Views: 18
I remember years ago seeing a few distributors I went through carry these for very short times and dumped them. I was told High winds snow and Ice caused havoc with these. I was curious as I was listening to a few guys trying to con another guy "Their good buddy" into buying one and after thinking about it remembered I had a folder of product literature here that a distributor sent in the mid 1990s and remembered they disappeared as fast as they came into the scene.

I looked the sight up and its still their and then seen and remembered that ridiculous "Golden Rod" mobile antenna that looked like a signal tracker that is still sold LMAO!! I was reading the reviews and just laughed If you haven't seen one just wait!! These guys were trying to get another fella in the group to buy one of those Golden Rods because the website said its the best mobile antenna out there ;) LOL!!

We live in Wisconsin lots of Ice Wind and Snow so a Cubic Quad style antenna 'Not a good idea" as in most cases you will have Spaghetti hanging off that tower in no time I wouldn't dare try helping or say anything as I listened because they think all amateur radio operators are stupid and know nothing. Anyways anyone on the forum have any experience with these Lightning Antenna's?

Had a golden rod back in the day. Only could use it parked..Worked ok. No better then my Tiny Made...stopped using it. Turned into a pretzel falling off my shelf.

Are we talking about the "golden rod GR-45" ?

Jeff

I also have an old GR-45 for a mobile, but I used it on top of my Marconi antenna and it too works similar to a 102" whip. IMO, it is not suitable for a mobile if you travel at high speeds, so 225 is right.

I have never had it up higher that 20' feet, but it worked just as good with local chatter as my Marconi with a 102" whip in the top. I did not have DX at the time, but I think it will work DX fine also.

They are not very sturdy in the top hat section, so I would only consider one in a stationary installation.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated