• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna hight/base question.

maddog355

Sep 22, 2011
I am wanting to set up a base but i live in somewhat of a bowl, With alot of trees as well. I figure I will have to go atleast 50' to get above the hills. So I need input on 3 things. 1 What is the legal hight limit . 2 How high can I go with pipe sections (such as chain link fence post) or heaver pipe even, before I would have to actually spring for tower sections. 3 Between the terrain and tree issues would it even be worth the effort??

My plan would be to run somthing like a antron 99 or the like, no beams or anything.

if you can get to a 50 ft feed-point and that will get you above the hills around you id go with a quality 5/8 or a vector depending on your weather extremes .
which 5/8 to get will depend on your wallet :confused: how physically durable and how technically correct you want your antenna to be :LOL:(y) .

and here is what the FCC says about CB base antenna height .

FCC: Wireless Services: Citizens Band: Operations

"Antennas
There are no height restrictions for antennas mounted on vehicles or for hand-held units. For structures, the highest point of your antenna must not be more than 20 feet above the highest point of the building or tree on which it is mounted, or 60 feet above the ground. There are lower height limits if your antenna structure is located within two miles of an airport."

i wouldn't want more than 8 ft of pipe above the highest bracketed/supported point , beyond that id guy . and FWIU fence rail isn't a good mast material ..... but i haven't tried it .
if you're not in a heavily populated area and you run a clean station i wouldn't worry about the antenna being too high .

Last edited by a moderator:
I WOULD be concerned the height of the antenna mast if it were to fall over and land on a power line - though.
Make every effort to keep it safe putting it up or taking it down.

That is some serious ju-ju . . .

if you think you live in a bowl maybe you should check google earth and make sure. it tells your altitude when you putr the mouse pointer on it. your best bet is a 4 or 5 section telescopic mast with guying wire every 10 feet in at least 3 or 4 directions on the center fo your roof to get the most heigth. Id get the new penetrater for the money it beats or equals about everything there is and its quiter then a a99 or imax. the other one is a vector but i hear the tops still bend in the wind. if your in a real hole then you want a antenna with a higher agnle to get over ity like the starduster m400

Do yourself a favor, get a mast that's designed for the height you want. None of them are 'free standing', so figure on guying the thing at more than just one or two levels. I'd take a very close look at how/where you plan to put the thing! The advice about safety isn't something to sneer at, but it's your wallet and your life you'll be playing with.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

I have a chain link fence top rail that I am using for a 2 meter antenna and it is pretty flimsey.Had to guy it off and it is about 32 feet or so

Best choice would of course to get a tower,but for cost effectiveness a " TV antenna pushup pole " guyed properly ( as per instructions) should work fine

And of course be sure there are no power lines that might be in the way while installing or taking down antenna...be safe above all else !!

Do yourself a favor, get a mast that's designed for the height you want. None of them are 'free standing', so figure on guying the thing at more than just one or two levels. I'd take a very close look at how/where you plan to put the thing! The advice about safety isn't something to sneer at, but it's your wallet and your life you'll be playing with.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Good advice. The thing about fence post and "other" pipe is that it isn't designed to be used to support an antenna so who's to say if it will last or come crashing down.

I would try to find a Rohn push up mast or similar and guy it appropriately per the manufacturers specs. that's going to be the cheaper alternative to a tower up to a certain point. Trying to get an antenna support up to the 50' level amost guarantees you'll need a tower if it's going to supported only by guy wires.

Thanks for the input, I don't think I can reasonably set a base up and get any type of performance from it. I know I live in a bowl, as I can see the hills surronding me. GPS says 95' on the highest side. So I think it is a lost cause.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated